PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for this box truck???

olderthandirt
09-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Have a chance to buy this box truck. It has a small hole at the right front of the box [drive threw mishap] the box is 22' the truck has a 454 gas 66k miles with a split 5 speed [ten gears] hydro stabalizers and good rubber. It needs a battery and a lot of elbow grease and time to get it in top shape. 1990 model
the company does not use it and offered it to me for 2k but I know I can get it cheaper. Any Ideas what its value might be ?

PLM-1
09-03-2005, 01:33 AM
I would say $1500-$2000. Does the smokin' guy come with it??

Ironmower
09-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Didn't think 454's came in the medium trucks???? Thought the only gas engines available in those sized trucks were the 366 and 427?

Scapegoat
09-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Wow, that's a big truck. What would you use it for?

Heck the 2K sounds good. I'm sure you could put some of that "elbow grease" into it and just re-sell it for an easy little profit if you decided you didn't need/want it anymore :)

olderthandirt
09-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Didn't think 454's came in the medium trucks???? Thought the only gas engines available in those sized trucks were the 366 and 427?
I assumed it was a 454, just looked at it more for oil leaks etc. It looked like a big block to me and I did'nt think they made the 427 in 1990. But it could be if they were still made then.

What would you use it for?
What a big rolling billboard it would make + it can carry pretty much all I need :D

jimslawns
09-03-2005, 10:56 AM
366 was very common though the early 90's

Heck make the repairs and resell... with 66K on it thats a steal.

tinman
09-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Great deal I think. Signage would be worth it. Haul & store pinestraw, seed, fert, other supplies.

Lawnworks
09-03-2005, 04:55 PM
I am curious what you are going to use it for? It would take a BIG ramp to get mowers in there. I also would hate to see the gas mileage... it has to be less than 10mpg. I would imagine it would have trouble on the highway also.

Ironmower
09-03-2005, 05:05 PM
I assumed it was a 454, just looked at it more for oil leaks etc. It looked like a big block to me and I did'nt think they made the 427 in 1990. But it could be if they were still made then.

The 366/427 gassers were put in all the way up to the Kodiak series ('02?) when the 8.1 was offered in that line of truck.

Several of the GMC 7000 series firetrucks around here have 427's in them and they are of the mid-90's vintage. They tend to be a little cold natured from what I've been told.

Gravel Rat
09-04-2005, 02:36 AM
The engine is most likely a 366 which is okay but you won't be getting anymore than 6mpg with it you will see 4mpg. The local school bus fleet has GMC Blue Birds they have 366 on propane they usually go through 200 dollars in propane every couple days.

I imagine that truck has 4wheel disk brakes which is good the truck will stop good. The older trucks did have problems with king pins on the front end from the pictures that truck has the light front axle.

You have to watch out for the 2spd rear axles most people can't shift them properly so the selector on the axle is worn out. The 5+2 isn't the best gearing but it was common in gasser trucks. You would spend most of the time in low range anyhow. Climbing hills you would be using 2nd or even 1st gear while the gas tank is turning inside out because the engine is sucking back the fuel so fast.

As for price you shouldn't spend anymore than 10 grand for it depending on the mileage etc. A good price would be 5 grand a good used box is around 2 grand. The only other use for that truck would be a shop truck for a forestry operation or in a gravel mine where it never see's a paved road.

stumper1620
09-04-2005, 07:07 AM
I agree that the box alone is worth 2 grand Mac,

If nothing else you could pull the box off set it on RR ties and make great storage.

meathead1134
09-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Have a chance to buy this box truck. It has a small hole at the right front of the box [drive threw mishap] the box is 22' the truck has a 454 gas 66k miles with a split 5 speed [ten gears] hydro stabalizers and good rubber. It needs a battery and a lot of elbow grease and time to get it in top shape. 1990 model
the company does not use it and offered it to me for 2k but I know I can get it cheaper. Any Ideas what its value might be ?

I'd snag that up in a heart beat, I would hit the back of the box with some white paint were it is rusted a little. I would then turn around and put it up for 10K if not more. Do a little homework and find out home much the trucks are going for and resell it. Heck why don't you put it up on ebay or something. The box alone is worth 2K if the flooring is in decent shape. I'm sure that some farmer out there needs a truck to take there crops to market. (I noticed that you are from Ohio)

olderthandirt
09-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Bought the truck, or should say stole the truck for $700 it needed a battery :D

Lux Lawn
09-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Bought the truck, or should say stole the truck for $700 it needed a battery :D

Way to flex those muscles Mac. :)