PDA

View Full Version : weed and disease identification books

dmoney
09-03-2005, 11:42 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find some small books that could ride along with my employees that would help them when they are trying to id a weed while on the property. any help is appreciated! :blob3:

ercrvs24
09-04-2005, 11:43 AM
I have a "Scotts" book that has pretty good information in it. I believe it's meant more for home owners, but it helps. It's not "small", about the size of a magazine, but it has pics of normale weeds, broadleaf and grassy. And it has a table that goes step by step order for i.d.ing brown spots/dead/damaged grass. hope this helps some

Garth
09-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I got books from the Cooperative Extention Service and kept the ones when I was attending UC Davis. Try the State Universities. They usually have all the Agriculture and Horticulture info you'll ever need. Alot of the chemical companies like DowAgro print guides as well.Cheers.

Critical Care
09-04-2005, 11:36 PM
The U of M Extension Service has information on plant disease diagnostics and weeds. I would have included their website link, but for some reason it's currently down.

More than likely, the manufacturers of chemicals along with their information on plant diseases will offer treatment suggestions - but I surely wouldn't expect Ortho to suggest using DowAgro, or vice versa. Regardless of the treatment suggestions, the diagnostics on diseases would surely be helpful.

There are some great weed ID books out there, I have one in living color, but what you need is one targeted for your area (IMO). The one I have would do you little good.

grassguy_
09-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Best if you can contact a few chemical manufacturers such as Dow, PBI Gordon, or BASF, they have at one time or another published some posters and pamphlets that are excellent for weed ID.