PDA

View Full Version : Sod reccomendations for shaded area?

eggy
03-14-2001, 08:46 AM
Generally, we overseed using a slice seeder, however we ave had a request to lay sod for a maintence customer, in her front yard which is shaded, any reccomendations on type of sod or do you even reccomend sod for a heavy shaded area?

Kansas Turf Man
03-14-2001, 10:06 AM
Sod will no doubt have a better chance than seed will in any situation. In my area (KS) Kentucky Bluegrass does the best in shade. In my personal home lawn I have a sports turf blend. It is 1/10 bluegrass and 9/10 turf type fescue. About 30% of my lawn is in heavy shade all day and it still looks great. With sod you can put down either and have a good lawn. If a sod is used that has a blend like my lawn the turf that grows best in that particular part of the lawn will do better. For example in my lawn the shaded areas have a little more bluegrass because it can handle the shade a little better than the fescue. A natural fade will occur from the Fescue to the bluegrass that is in heavy shade. Bet because I used a blend you don't notice the fade at all.

I hope this helps.

If you need more info go to my website and click on the turf links page and go to TPI's site they have some great info.

Thanks

eggy
03-14-2001, 04:48 PM
Do you have any recomendations on what to do around large tree roots that are at the surface? It doesnt seem like we could get the sod level in those areas, and get good soil contact.

cclllc
03-14-2001, 08:28 PM
Fill in w/topsoil

joshua
03-14-2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by eggy
Do you have any recomendations on what to do around large tree roots that are at the surface? It doesnt seem like we could get the sod level in those areas, and get good soil contact.

add more soil before you lay the sod down, but chances are that the roots will raise back to the surface in a few years, but soil will be your best bet for now.

grade
03-14-2001, 11:04 PM
any time you have a tree its not a good idea to plant grass right up to and around the trunk this is robbing the roots of adaquate moisture causing them to surface along with a high water table or clay soil , I would top soil the roots then cover with mulch then but up sod to mulch beds. also suggest to customer a shade garden hostas,ferns etc.

Lawnking
03-15-2001, 06:54 PM
Cut the damn tree down. Just kidding. Do your sod producers grow shade sod? Call around to sod producers and ask what varieties they produce. In MN thy produce shade sod which is a different blend of seed, or mineral sod which grows better in clay type soils. Think about trimming trees to allow more light in. If the grass is thin now how will the new sod look in a year unless conditions are changed?