PDA

View Full Version : I picked the worse time to be looking for a dump truck...

Stroker
09-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Week before last I was given the chance to get some construction debris clean up contracts from a rather large builder in my area. Since then Ive been looking a single axle dump with a 14-16 foot dump bed, 42-50 inch sides. Many "were" for sale within 250 miles in the Big truck trader. There has probably been a half dozen or more I have called about that they say just got sold to people heading down to Miss, Al, and La. Some have been sold sight unseen....

Will probably end up buying a flat bed dump with no sides and just spending a little extra getting sides made....

Gravel Rat
09-05-2005, 03:22 AM
A flatbed dump is more usefull over a dump box with fixed low sides because with a flatdeck you can haul palletized freight or lumber etc. I'am in the process of trying to find info on hoists for a 12x8 flatdeck on my 95 F-450 as I'am getting back into hauling construction debris again.

I'am debating if I should go with a scissor hoist or go with the tried and true telescoping post hoist like I had on my last truck. I'am concerned about the lifting power of a scissor hoist I never really had much experience with them. I have experience with telescoping post hoists as my last truck had that plus work with and drive tandem axle dump trucks.

The demand for trucks is pretty high because the construction industry is booming its why I'am getting back into it.

Shadetree Ltd
09-06-2005, 12:39 AM
I disagree on the flatbed being more useful. Our dump has 30" sides that fold down so pallets aren't a problem. A good scissor hoist will lift WAY more than the truck willl ever be able to carry. I have had both and the front mount telescopic was quicker but I have never had a problem with scissors in 5 + years.

Gravel Rat
09-06-2005, 01:12 AM
I see you are from Surrey where else can a person get a scissor hoist besides Del Hydraulics ?

With a flatdeck you can run taller sides out of plywood and stakes as this guy is going to be hauling construction debris and its bulky. A flatdeck is cheaper to purchase or find used. When you don't need the truck a building supply would probably buy it because it is a dumping flatdeck.

Another truck he should consider is a rolloff truck they are not that expensive or try find a set of rails to put on a single axle. Drop the bin down on the ground makes it easy to load pull the bin on and head off to the dump. He could leave the bin on the site and the construction crew can load it.

The one contractor I worked for has a rolloff truck its a tandem axle the truck is handy to have. He has a 20' box with low sides it gets used the most for hauling sand and gravel plus you can pack a mini excavator in the truck. Also has regular 40 yard bins for brush hauling.

Shadetree Ltd
09-06-2005, 03:22 AM
For a lift check out West Coast Machinery, Falcon Equipment or Russel Equipment. The newest truck is a 05 F450 and the box was done by West Coast and they wre great to deal with. Apparently The Trailerman also sells hoists.

Gravel Rat
09-06-2005, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the info :)

I bought a 95 F-450 from PF Motors on King George I need to make the current deck dump or try find a dump body for it.