PDA

View Full Version : Is it fungus?

dymondwong
09-05-2005, 09:45 AM
After a month of non-stop heavy rain in HK, I find many islands of that on my lawn. It is sticky and with a fishy smell. It is definitely growing though not seems to kill my grass now, it renders my lawn smelly and don't look like a healthy lawn. Please if anybody can tell me what it is and how to get rid of it. Also what is the likely cause so that I can prevent it to grow in my backyard again.

sildoc
09-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Looks like slime mold. If so use a water hose and spray it off. Or dry up the grass and it will go away.

SodKing
09-05-2005, 11:15 AM
I am not sure if I am looking at a glutonous mass (jello like) or just a mass of mycelium.

Ric
09-09-2005, 08:00 PM
I am not sure if I am looking at a glutonous mass (jello like) or just a mass of mycelium.

Sod

Almost looks like the Mycelium of Take All Root Fungus.

dymondwong

I would suggest treating it with a 2% Lemon flavor antibacterial soap at about 3 gallons per Thousand sq ft. I am not sure this would control the problem but it might suppress it far enough to not be a problem. I am not sure what Chemicals you can get or where they might come from, but I am sure you can at least buy a good antibacterial soap.

dymondwong
09-21-2005, 01:23 PM
after some vigorous search, I suspect it is Pythium blight. is it likely?

donal
10-04-2005, 07:28 AM
After a month of non-stop heavy rain in HK, I find many islands of that on my lawn. It is sticky and with a fishy smell. It is definitely growing though not seems to kill my grass now, it renders my lawn smelly and don't look like a healthy lawn. Please if anybody can tell me what it is and how to get rid of it. Also what is the likely cause so that I can prevent it to grow in my backyard again.
Ive spent 12 years of my life in HK managing golf courses. Ive see this many times. Its a slim mould, will not harm the grass and can be washed off with a hose and brush. It typically comes after the heavy rains in summer in Hong Kong.There is also lots of pythium in HK , but its usually a cool season Pythium that is around between October to March. You will only see the Mycelium of the Pythium early morning, and its white and more delicate than the photos you have. Hope this helps

dymondwong
10-06-2005, 01:09 AM
Donal
Thank you very much about your comment.
BTW thanks for the good management of golf courses in HK, I love the lawn there very much

donal
10-06-2005, 02:30 AM
I enjoyed every minute of it. A real challenge with the intense disease pressures, low light intensities and annual summer deluge of rain. And the best thing about working at the HKGC was working with the wonderful staff from the New Territories who I have a great affection for and many friends there.