PDA

View Full Version : '95 S-10 instrument cluster

GrassInPA
09-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Hopefully everyone had a wonderful Labor Day and got enough to eat.

I am hoping somebody knows something about the question I am going to ask. I have a '95 S-10 with the 4.3 L V6 in it. The truck is great for the amount of grass cutting I do. However, when I shut the truck off, the tach on the instrument cluster stays at about 1000 RPM's. Sometimes the oil gauge will do the same thing. If I restart the truck and shut it back off, all the gauges go to where they should. Is it possible for the whole instrument cluster to be going bad? It doesn't hurt anything, because they work fine while I'm driving the vehicle, it just becomes annoying. Let me know if there is something I can change out on this to fix my problem.

Thanks,

Zach

lawnmaniac883
09-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Sounds like an old, worn instrument cluster to me. Try tapping on the tach and see if the needle will drop down.

Eddie B
09-06-2005, 01:49 AM
some clusters stay at the point they were at when you shut off the vehicle, or they just kinda float wherever they want to, especially on worn clusters. Does the RPM gauge default to 0 when you turn the ignition without starting the engine?

PLM-1
09-06-2005, 02:29 AM
some clusters stay at the point they were at when you shut off the vehicle, or they just kinda float wherever they want to, especially on worn clusters. Does the RPM gauge default to 0 when you turn the ignition without starting the engine?

My dad's 2500 did that. They wouldn't rest all the way down, but when you turned the key to "on" they would settle all the way down until you started it.

GrassInPA
09-06-2005, 07:54 AM
It will go all the way down if I just turn on the ignition without starting the truck. It's just more of an annoying thing than a problem. Like I said earlier, it works fine when I'm driving the truck. Is there a way to fix this?

Zach