PDA

View Full Version : RPM's Hanging Up!

Stinger
03-14-2001, 03:56 PM
I have a 1999 Chevy 3500 srw with a Vortec 350/410 gears
and auto tranny. The truck idles 300 to 400 rpm higher than normal at times. It seems to pulse or rev up on it's own. I had the truck looked at by the dealer 2 times and they can't get the problem to occur while being hooked up to the computer. The throttle body was cleaned and I still have this problem happen several times daily. I think it is something to do with the a/c compressor kicking up the engine idle when the defrost or a/c is used. Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

4x4k20
03-14-2001, 05:39 PM
it is normal for this gm has it to where you use the defrost the ac compresser cuts in to mix cold air with the heat to prevent mostiure build up the compresser when it cuts in the computer raises the idle up look in you manuel it should say something in there about this if you want to you can unplug the wire to the compresser thats what i do during the time that i dont use the ac

plowjockey
03-14-2001, 08:59 PM
I believe the reasoning behind the a/c compressor running when you use the defroster is so that during rhe colder months the compressor will at least be run some of the time thus lubricating the inner parts.

Bruce

John DiMartino
03-15-2001, 12:07 AM
Stinger-the fix is-turn off the defrost-LOL

Stinger
03-15-2001, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the replys, but the engine revs high enough on it's own that I allmost ran into someone while at a stop light. Plus hooking up a trailer is more trouble than it should be. I really have to ride the break or the truck will pull it's own self. The A/C and defrost was left off all day and I still experianced the same problem.

Jeffrey Thomas
03-20-2001, 10:12 PM
Does your truck have a mass air flow sensor? If so have it checked out.I had the same problem with a camero and that was the problem. Good luck.

Albemarle Lawn
04-01-2001, 03:10 PM
Tell them...

"Fix it, get it right, no excuses, and don't call me until its right!"

And ask for a loaner vehicle. If you have a loaner they will invariably fix it faster and fix it right.

Its not your problem, if its under warranty it's GM's problem. That's why you bought a new truck. If you wanted to tinker you could have bought an older truck and saved thousands!!!