PDA

View Full Version : Speedzone

Loosa
09-05-2005, 09:11 PM
I just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with speedzone from PBI gordon. I used mill ultra for broadleaf control last year until they took it off the market for commercial home lawn use. I switched to speed zone this year. I went with the low rate this spring to see what kind of control I could get. Not good. It didnt do well. I talked with the product rep he suggested moving up the rate about midway at 1.5oz / 1k. I really dont want to look like an idiot this fall. Has anyone had experience with this warm dry weather and applying this product? Im in Iowa my biggest concern is on clover and creeping charlie. Any advice would be great. :help: :help:

PVLAND
09-05-2005, 09:17 PM
I have had the same results this year. Very poor control across the board. The speed zone did work better with an acidifer in the mix (LI700), but still I would not recommend the product. I much prefer to use momentum from lesco. I got a very good deal on the speedzone or so I thought.

Neal Wolbert
09-05-2005, 11:53 PM
If you have a Wilbur Ellis Co. store close by they have a new product called Wil-Power that is working out nicely on the West Coast. Also the combo of Spotlite and NuFarm's Horsepower is very good. Use a little surfactant with them, we like Syltac from Wilbur Ellis. Speedzone and Powerzone disappointed us as well. Neal

GrazerZ
09-06-2005, 06:15 AM
I also used mill ultra until last year. It was replaced by Escalade. I have been using Escalade with good results. I use it at 75% rate with lesco spreader sticker. But, it is expensive.

DLS1
09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I have used it for 2 years and working okay. I use the higher rate.

MrBarefoot
09-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I like speedzone, and it is my favorite weed control product.

DLS1
09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I like speedzone, and it is my favorite weed control product.

Have you tried SURGE by PBI Gordon. It is suppose to also kill nutsedge so don't you don't have to use Manage as a separate application. Not sure high high the temperature you spray it. I am waiting until i am out of Speedzone before I try it.

MrBarefoot
09-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Have you tried SURGE by PBI Gordon. It is suppose to also kill nutsedge so don't you don't have to use Manage as a separate application. Not sure high high the temperature you spray it. I am waiting until i am out of Speedzone before I try it.

I use a perma green to perform treatments, and the label on Surge does not allow for the low volume rate of 32oz per 1k.

Some other applicators have also stated that Surge doesn't control nutsedge.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1097543&postcount=3

Enviro Green
09-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Used about 50 gallons of speedzone and then switched to escalade. Used about 40 gallons of escalde. I don't plan to switch back, the escalade is better both from the tank sprayer and the z spray for me.

EG

kcchiefs58
09-07-2005, 06:53 PM
I used speed zone in the spring time. It really is rain fast in 15 minutes and does well in the cool weather. i went 1.5 oz per 1000 sq. feet and dandelions fry with this stuff and clover also. once the temps go above 75 to 80 degrees consistently, i have found that it kills some weeds on top only like morning glory and comes back really hardy in about 3 weeks, so i don't believe there is no root action on higher temps with speed zone, on the other hand in the cool weather the weeds like the clovers and dandelions didn't come back. This is what i have found for the past 3 years of using it.

DiscoveryLawn
09-08-2005, 06:49 PM
I have had success with speedzone with fall and spring apps at the mid to higher rates. I have only tried it above 80 degrees at the lower rate and was not happy with the results. I didn't have the guts to try it at the higher rate in hot & dry conditions.

David