PDA

View Full Version : Spraying & Fertilizing after overseeding

4x4_Hunter
09-06-2005, 12:45 PM
I just dethatched my lawn and overseeded with a slit-seeder this past weekend. Now, I plan to water the entire lawn 1-2 times a week while we get no rain. I have some 19-19-19 and some 46-0-0 to apply and I would also like to spray some "7" to kill the moths and bugs. Should I do it now before the overseeded seeds germinate, wait for them to germinate and grow a bit, or wait till the overseeded grass has become established good (which would mean that I might not be able to spread and spray till spring). Your experienced opinions are very much appreciated. Thanks,

lawnservice
09-06-2005, 05:54 PM
lawn should be water more than 1 or 2 times per week. 1 or 2 times per day until seed germination.

19-19-19 now

sevin, if needed, is ok now as well.

4x4_Hunter
09-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately, 1-2 times per week is about all I can do with the sprinklers I have. With 2 acres or so of grass, I move the sprinkler around and by the time I do the front and back yard, I will actually be watering each area about once a week. Water is running almost constantly. Maybe Mother Nature will decide to help me out here soon.

So, the Nitrogen in the triple 19 won't hurt the seed? Sevin won't hurt the seed either?

I would say that the Sevin is NEEDED at this time because when I mow my lawn, there are a zillion of little white moths that fly all over the place. I can not rule out that these buggers are eating the grass blades and killing my grass.

lawnservice
09-07-2005, 04:42 PM
the Nitrogen will not hurt the turf. i'll assume you'll be appling it at around 1 lb of nitrogen per 1000sf (equals around 5.25 - 5.5 lbs 19-19-19 per 1000sf)

personally i feel there are better starter fertilizer products out there but the triple 19 is very popular

sevin will not harm the turf.
those little moths are most likely sod webworm moths, though the moths can be a nuicence they will not harm the lawn. What you need to watch for are the moth larvae, or the sod webworm, which can be damaging and i do believe sevin is labeled for this pest.

to bad about the water situation. watering once or even twice per week might be dissapointing in seed germination. hopefully nature will kick in and get you some rain.......we could use much rain here in new england

Runner
09-09-2005, 09:59 PM
...and STAY AWAY from the 46-0-0 stuff. It's junk...especially for what you want it for.

4x4_Hunter
09-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Actually, the 46-0-0 stuff I was including isn't intended to help with the overseeding to take but to give the grass that is there a shot of N. Reason being, I started this year by collecting the clippings of every mowing. I think that made my lawn lack in N. It also showed up in my soil sample as that being true. So, I am trying to get some of that back in my lawn.

Runner
09-12-2005, 10:56 PM
That could be, but don't shoot it with that much N. Especially if you're going to have new chutes come up. This stuff is like crack on your lawn. You can feed an infant a whole bunch of sugar and junk food. It will give him energy, but does it give him proper nutrition for HEALTHY and beneficial growth and development?
Again, you want to concentrate enegy AWAY from the leaf and topgrowth, and concentrate into the root system and body.