PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Spraying

Sky King
09-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Anyone Here Spray Lawns?
What can you tell me about the business, Do you Have to have a chemical License? Where do you get the supplies?

Mo Green
09-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Most states require a license for chemical apps. I'm sure one of the guys here from FLA can get you started on the right path.

twindiddy
09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
pesticide license for sure. not sure about fert.

DLS1
09-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Anyone Here Spray Lawns?
What can you tell me about the business, Do you Have to have a chemical License? Where do you get the supplies?

Is the most regulated state for pesticides according to "Ric" a member. Do an advanced search for member "Ric" in the pesticide forum only and you will eventually find a post from him about Florida requirements.

What I think I remember is you need to work under a licensed pesticide guy for a few years before you can get your license in Florida.

topsites
09-06-2005, 10:26 PM
I been working with it for a couple years and am looking into licensing as I want to expand. Way I see things, you should be able to try something a bit to see if you WANT to do it and if you decide yes, then worry about a license.

Yes, assume you need a license. Here in Va the problem with the license is you need certification and you can self-certify yourself (but read, do a google for your state), in VA basically:
- ORDER a book from someplace and it costs like 20 or 50 dollars.
- STUDY this book THOROUGHLY.
- Go to your Department of Motor Vehicles and take the test.
- Then once you pass that test you are certified and you should be able to get the license.
So what I would do is try it a little bit first, see if you WANT to do this.
Far as the business it is a bit of a pain so 'try' a couple treatments (ask one your customers you think might not mind). I don't mind the work is easy and the money is decent, I get away with 60 dollar treatments for about an hour's work and 15-20 dollars worth of materials and the bonus is no gas-operated equipment except the truck and you don't need the trailer +++ Easy PHYSICAL work! (ehhh, it does make up for it mentally I find it challenging, but to me that means $$$).
One thing I use a garden hose, I got 3 x 50 ft... If I couple them together, I got 150 feet of hose so ONE spigot in most yards I cover front-to-back even after I wrap the hose around 3 trees I STILL got hose left.
Garden hoses are 25+ dollars for a decent GoodYear one, I would NOT recommend a cheap garden hose so buy at least 2 decent 50-footers, cost you like 50-60 bucks and NO do NOT get the phone-cord coil ones.
For the materials, I buy ONE or TWO bottles WITH the hose applicator from Home Depot then I buy the refills and re-use the applicator-equipped bottles. It's pre-mixed so plug-n-play.
Then I use a 2-gallon sprayer and I recommend if you get into sprayers is to buy ONE sprayer for EACH chemical you plan to use, I buy all different colors, the black sprayer is Round-up, the white one is crabgrass killer, and they have yellow and stainless steel and backpack sprayers as well but I haven't got that far yet.
The sprayer vs. the hose:
- With the hose, you do either the whole yard or at least a fair area.
- With the sprayer, you do spot-treatments.
The sprayer is handy when the problem is localized and not too bad, the hose kicks in when the problem is wide-spread or extensive.
Price-wise, $I charge 10 / gallon when spraying, $60 / bottle when hosing (one bottle covers 5-10k sq. feet), one gallon ~300-600 sq. feet but if spotting, 300-600 sq.feet is a LOT of area.

Then once you realize how EXPENSIVE the pre-mixed solutions get, you can buy dry chemicals and you get into the nonsense of adjuvants and suddenly it gets REAL smart on you as it no longer tells you to use x-amount/gallon but it tells you x-amount/square footage but if you do a few treatments and decide you like doing it, the learning curve is well worth the money in the end.

Couple more things:
- A SUCCESFUL treatment (meaning when I tried something, it actually WORKED), took me a couple years to get to where it would work MOST of the time, lots of trial-and-error but a 60-dollar treatment means 15-20 minutes spraying with the hose (now you need a method where you can (un)load + (un)ravel the hose FAST so you can be in-out in half-hour), so then it's very nice.
- It's NEVER guaranteed for sure. I learned thou there MUST be noticeable Improvement where you can SEE a BIG difference but weed-treat today, there is NO guarantee there will be NO weeds 60 days down the road, that much I know.
Well check it out, doesn't hurt to try, hundred bucks you'll make it back, just takes time and if you want to learn, it's pretty cool.

lqmustang
09-06-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm sure you'll get some FL people chime in here, but from what I recall reading around here FL is one of the tougher states to get a license in. I think you have to work under a licensed applicator for a certain amount of time, among other things. If I am reading topsites post correctly, do NOT do as he is, and 'work with it' for a couple years without a license. Penalties can be severe if caught. There is also a thead at the top of this forum titled 'Licensing in all States'. You may find some info you need there.

lqmustang
09-06-2005, 11:06 PM
edited due to double post

DLS1
09-06-2005, 11:32 PM
I been working with it for a couple years and am looking into licensing as I want to expand. Way I see things, you should be able to try something a bit to see if you WANT to do it and if you decide yes, then worry about a license.....

Couple more things:
- A SUCCESFUL treatment (meaning when I tried something, it actually WORKED), took me a couple years to get to where it would work MOST of the time....

You got to be crazy with this 'working it for a couple years'. So you been doing something illegal for a couple of years and then you post it on the internet for the world to see.

Then you say it took you a couple of years to get a treatment to work MOST of time. You sound like the most incompetent person I have ever heard in an illegal fertilization business.

Doing it illegal and it takes you two years to get it working MOST of the time.

What other things do you do illegal? :dizzy:

Runner
09-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Give me a break...
[Quote:] "Way I see things, you should be able to try something a bit to see if you WANT to do it and if you decide yes, then worry about a license."[Quote:]

I did that when I went through my phase thatI thought I wanted to be a dentist....it didn't pan out so well.

Seriously, I think someone needs to do some more research BEFORE posting and trying to "advise" others on how to do things. . . .

"Dept. of Motor Vehicles"??? This is actually funny! Tell us, how many times do have to "drive over" ground ivy or wild violet to irradicate it? :laugh:

[Quote:] "One thing I use a garden hose, I got 3 x 50 ft... If I couple them together, I got 150 feet of hose so ONE spigot in most yards I cover front-to-back"[Quote:]

Hooking up pesticides to peoples' water supplies is always a good thing to do, too. You ARE using a anti-backflow valve, right? A D.O.A agent would have a field day on you.... :rolleyes:

[Quote:] "Then once you realize how EXPENSIVE the pre-mixed solutions get, you can buy dry chemicals and you get into the nonsense of adjuvants and suddenly it gets REAL smart on you"[Quote:]

Yeah, who needs all that "nonsense" of chemicals that make other chemicals actually WORK and be effective. That stuff (effectiveness) is all over rated, anyway. ;)

[Quote:] "- A SUCCESFUL treatment (meaning when I tried something, it actually WORKED), took me a couple years to get to where it would work MOST of the time"[Quote:]

There's nothin' like goin' around dumpin' a bunch of pesticides on a "trial and error" basis just to see if they work...I mean hey, if they don't work right away, we can just go back in and Blast it. :dizzy:

GreenUtah
09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
I think the topsites post was comic sarcasm, right? There are so many things wrong with that, it has to be...but I do like the DMV licensing, that was a nice touch! I love obvious newbs out in the field, I know right where to send the ag inspector..lol

kcchiefs58
09-09-2005, 07:51 PM
i really hope that topsites isn't for real. makes us in the business embarrassed. And I wonder why someone like that would still be in business, let alone the customers having someone like that treat their lawns. Hate to see his insurance rate....wait probably doesn't carry that either.

dmoney
09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
topsites= embarassing for us all

Runner
09-09-2005, 10:52 PM
The bad part about it is, I feel almost responsible to answer some of the posts like that, because I don't want people going out and getting hurt or hurting someone.