PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

RedWolf
09-07-2005, 01:47 AM
I need some help guys.I was mowing a lot and almost hit two steel 5 gallon cans.So i get off the tractor and one can said Yellow Phosphorus on it and the other can said Sodium Fluoroacetate on it.the owner of the lot wants me to remove the cans but there full.what can you guys tell me about this stuff and should i remove them myself.i have a bad feeling about this and need help.

sheshovel
09-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Call the EPA you probably need a Hazmat suit to remove those chemicals.

stuie
09-07-2005, 05:37 AM
Yellow phosphorus: Yellow phosphorus is highly poisonous compared with the relatively non- toxic red phosphorus. When used as a rodenticide, yellow phosphorus is usually mixed with molasses or peanut butter and spread on bread as bait for rodents or roaches. For obvious reasons, it is occasionally ingested by children. Yellow phosphorus is most toxic to the gastrointestinal tract and liver. Ingestion is usually followed by vomiting which is said to be luminescent and have a garlicky odour. Delirium, coma and death from cardiovascular collapse may ensue. Use discontinued in the UK.

Sodium Fluoroacetate (1080) Poisoning Gee thats what they use here to bait wild dogs and foxes

Sheshovel is right dont touch them call the EPA and let them deal with them.

MOW ED
09-07-2005, 07:34 AM
DO NOT TOUCH OR MOVE THEM. Call the local fire department and they will get the ball rolling. If you take possession, YOU will be responsible for costs incurred.
I cannot emphasize that enough. Just call the fire department and they will contact the Haz Mat team for the area. Do it now. Stay safe.

GreenUtah
09-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Agreed, do not touch nor move them, you have no idea of what sort of shape the container is in. Call the Fire Dept. or Chemtrec at 1-800-262-8200 now!

RedWolf
09-07-2005, 06:43 PM
ok i called the cops and Fire Dept.i went back out there and the ****** was trying to move them.he ran like hell and went back in the house.this makes the fifth time someones dumped crap like this on his lot.i work at night pumping toxic waste tanks but i have never heard of yellow phosphorus or 1080 as you call it.i pump some nasty stuff so it sounds like i may be getting a call.