PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy


djlawn
09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
I have been clearing out a lot for a customer and came across what I think is poison ivy. Can anybody tell if that is what it is?J:\DJ's Lawncare pics/IMG_0011.jpeg

djlawn
09-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Sorry forgot to post pics.

Jamesgateslandscaping
09-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Not to good of view, can you take a better pic of just one plant? If it has three leaves then it is.
Thanks
James

QualityLawnCare4u
09-07-2005, 09:16 PM
I could not quite tell from the pics either. Just hearing the word "poison ivy" makes me miserable, highly allergic to it.

Kate Butler
09-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Looks like PI to me. 3 leaves, shiny, serrated leaves. Good luck, I'm another highly allergic one to that stuff - be careful.

Nosmo
09-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Looking at picture #1 is all I needed. You've got Poison Ivy at that place.

Nosmo

djlawn
09-08-2005, 08:09 AM
that's what I thought. It's the first time I have ever had to work with the stuff. Luckily I was wearing jeans, t-shirt, gloves, and I just happened to have a sweatshirt in the back of the truck that I put on, so I am hoping I won't get it. I sprayed roundup on it so hopefully that will kill it off.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-08-2005, 08:12 AM
I hope you are not as allergic to it as I am. Just getting close is all it takes for me, I actually can sense when Im close to it! Puts me in the hospital. One plant I would like to see make the extinct list.

djlawn
09-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Well it's been 1-2 days since I worked in the stuff so I am hoping that I didn't react to it. I had to clear out a biunch of brush and then boom there it was.

Kate Butler
09-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Well, if you don't have it already, you probably won't. Just remember that a person can be immune for years and all of a sudden get it (no more immunity). Treat the stuff carefully and be sure to wash your clothes separately from other laundry AND wash 'em twice (soap both times). The oil can remain active on shoes, shoelaces, etc.. for a year or more.

meathead1134
09-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Your not out of the woods yet, Wait till al atleast 2 weeks. I had a few bubbles pop up an then bam I had it all over my right side. I'm getting rid of it now

fred pereira
09-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Leaves of three let it be........... :)

sparechange
09-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Be careful with it even after the Roundup kills it. The oils stay active for a long time. Even the smoke from burning it has been known to cause reactions in some people.

Kate Butler
09-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Be careful with it even after the Roundup kills it. The oils stay active for a long time. Even the smoke from burning it has been known to cause reactions in some people.


Reactions?? I guess!! I knew a guy who's a smokejumper (firefighter) who had to have a lung transplant because he inhaled so much poison ivy smoke during a jump. The others in his crew all ended up with hideous lung problems. Be VERY careful (even more so than usual) around the stuff if it's being burned.

surfisher211
09-12-2005, 10:36 PM
first pic is poison ivy i have gotten it 4 times allready in aug doing land clearing i would spray it and not go near it lol good luck

Jamesgateslandscaping
09-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Poison Ivy leaves are not always shiney. (Plants, People and Places; HT 205 ,Thompson School at UNH ;) )