PDA

View Full Version : advertising/ marketing question

GreenOasisLI
09-07-2005, 08:44 PM
hey guys
I am trying to attract commerical accounts. All I have are private homes. I want to branch into business, strip malls, office buildings, things of that nature. I have a little extra money set aside to advertise. I am in New York and the season is almost over. So hopefully I can get some commerical accounts in March. I am strickly lawn care (fert, pesticides, etc. ((no mowing)) . any thoughts on how to get grow in this direction?? Thankyou

scagwildcat
09-07-2005, 09:17 PM
lawn care and you dont mow?

GreenOasisLI
09-07-2005, 11:05 PM
nope, just chemicals. it keeps me fairly busy and I refer out the cuts to a close friend and vice versa

GreenUtah
09-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I think I'd begin by contacting landscape maintenance contractors in your area that are not licensed to spray. No cost there but your time and that will lead you into the commercial properties that they care for. Ad dollars are not exactly effective with business accounts beyond presentation materials. Recognize that most commercial properties will want full service, unless it is not available locally. The most effective way to garner them will be to make a sales call and be prepared to compete with the maintenance folks, even if that means subbing out that work. Chamber of Commerce meetings, trade shows for local merchants, networking through other local organizations....these will be your best bet outside of the direct sales call.

GreenOasisLI
09-08-2005, 06:55 PM
thank you for your response Green Utah

lawnservice
09-08-2005, 07:28 PM
something that we did (actually was before i got involved with the company i'm with but my boss [the owner] has filled me in on the details....

he used to collect every business card he could from landscapers/gardeners. every time he'd see one he'd stop and ask for the business card.

then around late february he'd mail out an invitation to all these folks.
he had access to a small banquet hall and would have them cater the event, nothing to fancy...coffee, pastry and sandwiches. he'd put on a seminar for these guys. got them to understand why they need to sub out there fert/pesticide needs to us. he also followed up with phone calls to make a personal invitation for a free seminar with free breakfast/lunch. people love free meals!

late feb. because most guys are now thinking about the spring work load and this is a good opportunity to offer to 'lighten' their work load.

this is how he got this business off the ground.

good luck