PDA

View Full Version : Best preemergent

haptoski
09-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Just took on large 290 acre HOA that is bordered by weed fields. I have never needed to include a preemergent in the past.

Looking for recomendations for tank mix with roundup for gravel walks and tank mix with 2-4d for turf.

Surflan or PREM from Lesco?

GreenUtah
09-09-2005, 01:36 PM
I'd guess for that size of area, cost will be your driving factor. duration of control/effectiveness will have more to do with when and at what rate you apply more so that anything else, so find out what your best price is, apply to your label target and you'll be fine.

MIDWEST25
09-09-2005, 05:58 PM
best pre-m???? contradiction of term.Go cheap since none hold

kcchiefs58
09-09-2005, 07:22 PM
I have used many pre emergents and found barricade works the best...however and new spin off of barricade called calvalcade works just like barricade and is almost as cheap as pre m. I have found also not to go the low rates on pre emergents cause that doesn't work and in the long run ends up costing more $$$

Runner
09-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Oryzalin is a good bet. You can mix it to get however long of control you want or need. This is the same a.i. found in Surflan.

Neal Wolbert
09-10-2005, 02:53 AM
We spot treat with Roundup and apply Barricade/Gallery over the top in beds and all 3 together in bareground areas and are very pleased with the results. Expect about 4 months control on broadleaves and longer on grasses. Neal

Green-Pro
09-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Barricade is used here also with good results

ArizPestWeed
09-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Neal had the best answer , Gallery and Barricade .
The more different kinds you apply , the more control.

Gallery with one or more of the following
Pend.
Barricade
Surflan
Sime.
Can't think of any other liquid kinds

Critical Care
09-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I've had good luck with Snapshot, however have heard that a late fall application of Casoron does better at controlling early spring weeds. At this time of the year I need to think about something that will control the weeds in early spring. You know how it is... Many clients don't wake up in spring until after the weeds have already sprouted.

Kcchiefs58, you're in Woods Cross? Well what do ya know... I used to work and fly out at Skypark Airport.

rob1325
09-25-2005, 11:27 PM
best pre-m???? contradiction of term.Go cheap since none hold
I really starting to think this way. I tried many different brands and bought different rates. They all seem to work the same. Dimension 1.5 worked best for me, but not worth the extra price IMO. I may just go cheap next year and just spot spray crabgrass.

teeca
09-26-2005, 12:40 AM
what ever pre-m you use, i would make sure you determen what weed your going after.. grass weeds? i have found that dimension works GREAT, and if your going after broad leaf weeds, then use gallary, or mix them and take care of them all. but most of all, set yourself up to win! target the thin spots in the turf and add aeration/overseed in on the bid. 2nd year in the contract will be a breeze :cool2:

Garth
09-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Benefin and trifluralin for grasses, Gallery 75 for broadleaf. Barricade is a suggestion I was going to try out soon.

Mscotrid
09-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Ford, Chevy, Dodge...you decide which one is good...it's all about proper timing and rates. Unfortunately our business sometimes forces us to choose economics over agronomics than we ***** about the results.

Grassmechanic
09-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Turf - Dimension or Barricade for grassy weeds. Pre-M will root prune too much. Never use Surflan on cool season turf.

Beds and gravel areas - Snapshot, XL2G, Gallery, Surflan (oryzalin), depending on target weeds.

americanlawn
09-14-2006, 10:19 PM
We have over 3000 lawns. We have always used Pre-M (cheaper) in early spring. (our 1st of 5 applications). We have seen "breakthrough" of annual weeds "along the edges" and in lawns that have been mowed at 2 inches or less. Mainly along the edges in the front lawns.

I think we will switch to 'Barracade' next spring. Seems our competitors use it and have better results.