PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Customer Requests

Imulchmore
09-09-2005, 01:31 PM
I had a lady come in here this morning with a Ford Explorer Sport( one of those little ones with the 3.5 foot bed) and want me to put 1 ton of river stone in there. When I refused to do it she was P.O.ed at me and started yelling and then called he husband and he proceeded to tell me that I can do it and I told him there was a huckster down the road that may do it but not at this yard. I offered to deliver it for him and he told me he did not want to pay a delivery charge because I was going to kill him on it. I then offered to bring it for 10 bucks just to cover gas( about 5 mile away) and he told me no way. I dont know I guess you cant make some people happy.

But if I loaded her truck and she could not steer and plowed into someone I would be the first person they would come after!

JB1
09-09-2005, 01:42 PM
So was you supposed to shovel it in through the back window, that would have been fun.

hoyboy
09-10-2005, 08:47 AM
I'd have done it in a heartbeat. Would be fun to watch her scraping all the way down the road. Afterall, you warned her. Nothing she could do.

RedWolf
09-10-2005, 08:51 PM
yep thats true.once you warn them then they cant come after you.i had the same thing happen to me when i sold limerock.i told her i wouldnt load it because the truck could not handle it and she took off tearing up my drive way.well her old man sh** when i come around with the old case loader and almost ran into them.Lets just say they have never been back.if it wont haul it then i wont load it.

mikesturf
09-14-2005, 09:54 PM
I'd have done it in a heartbeat. Would be fun to watch her scraping all the way down the road. Afterall, you warned her. Nothing she could do.
ANYONE CAN SUE YOU FOR ANYTHING. They may not win, but you have to pay legal fees to protect yourself from the lawsuit.

bmh1202
09-15-2005, 10:21 AM
People think just because they have a "truck" they can haul mountains. I used to work at one of the Big Box Stores in the Garden shop. We would get people with 1/2 ton trucks wanting a full pallet of retaining wall block-about 3700 lbs. We made them sign a waiver. Once had a guy with a borrowed f150 want a full pallet, we put it on slowly and his trailer hitch proceeded to sink into the pavement. He says 'guess that's kinda heavy' ;)

Gene $immons
12-08-2005, 06:00 PM
I can't believe the guy would not pay the $10.00. What a jerk. You did the correct thing.

Doug Z.
01-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Like bmh said, just because people have a truck, they think they can haul anything. Trailers- same thing. I used to work for another guy, and we had a guy come in for granite. I told him i wouldnt load it, it would break his trailer... he argued, the owner said he wants in on, give it to him. When I left work that day, about 1/2 mile up the road, there sits a trailer, and dont ya know, that stone looked familer. broke the axle....too bad. That guy never did come back, too embarrased i guess...

Meadowbrook
03-12-2006, 07:15 PM
This is great. I was at one of the local quarries the other week and saw the funniest thing, well actually the stupidest thing. A guy was getting a skid of creekstone to take back to his house which he stated was a 'mile down the road'. Well, the problem was that the skid weighed between 3200 and 3500 lbs. and the other prob was that this guy had a Dodge Dakota. While the forklift was pulling out the skid, the guy asked me what I thought of him putting this stone on his truck. Well, I just lost it, did everything short of falling on the ground and rolling around laughing so hard. Well, I regained my composure, and.....started laughing again, all the while telling this guy that he was an idiot and that his truck wouldn't make it past the railroad tracks at the quarry much less down the road. By this time, the skid was ready to be loaded, and the operater sat the skid on the back of the truck, very slowly........slowly........slowly, and the bumper was about 3 inches off of the ground before the guy looked at me and then told the forklift operater to stop. The truck damn near did a wheelie with the skid on the back and it wasn't even the full weight. Realisticly, if the truck could have had the skid on the back, the guy would have wrecked cause there was NO weight on the front tires. He would've went to stop, and slid into whatever. Somehow people's stupidity never ceases to amaze me............

Chris

Imulchmore
03-16-2006, 03:10 PM
It Happened again Today.... It must be in the air. I was at the Home Depot and saw a Ford Fusion with....No lie there had to be at least 20 sheets of drywall on it. The tires were almost flat....But there is sweet justice because when I left H.D. they were pulled over about a mile up the road and there were peices of drywall everywhere. Oh yea th Po-Po were there too!!!!:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

LANDSCAPER30
03-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I can't believe the guy would not pay the $10.00. What a jerk. You did the correct thing. GOOD CALL!! I WOULDN'T HAVE EITHER:usflag:

Grn Mtn
03-16-2006, 08:20 PM
I put my Ram2500 to the test last year, I was having a brain fart kind of a day and was putting in my own patio, needless to say I put one pallet and 2 bands of Saratoga Blend Standard Belgard Pavers in it, the truck sat down about 7". Made it home mile and a half without breaking anything :)
Don't think I'll do that again.

The best is watching people throw bags of topsoil in the truck and they hit the trunk latch and the topsoil spills everywhere :laugh:

Flow Control
03-19-2006, 09:07 AM
A simple release form stating:

I (dumbace) on this day xxxxx 2006 wanted to show to the world that I have pea brain. And authorize XXXX company to dump XXXXX in my trunk and release them of any reliability. Loophole: You can not laugh at me until after I have my back turned to you...

Xterminator
03-19-2006, 09:26 AM
A simple release form stating:

I (dumbace) on this day xxxxx 2006 wanted to show to the world that I have pea brain. And authorize XXXX company to dump XXXXX in my trunk and release them of any reliability. Loophole: You can not laugh at me until after I have my back turned to you...
Make the money and cover yourself. make them sign a waiver

Precision
06-25-2006, 03:27 PM
I was at the mulch yard one day and a guy drives up in a brand new escalade. Not the pick up truck kind either.

Opens the back and wants 2 yards of red mulch poured in. No tarp, no nothing.

But hey he saved the $35 delivery charge.:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

NIXRAY
06-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I WAS GETTIN' READY TO LEAVE OUR MULCH YARD, AND A UPS TRUCK (YES A UPS BOX TRUCK) CAME DRIVIN' UP TO ME IN THE LOADER AND SAID "HEY BUD I NEED 4 yards. I SAY "WHAT IN THAT:confused:" HE SAYS, "OH SURE, IT WILL HANDLE, I TELL HIM YEA, BUT YOUR GONNA SHOVEL IT OFF MY BUCKET.
SOME PEOPLE ARE MORONS LIKE ME:dizzy: :dizzy:

DJL50
07-15-2006, 12:50 AM
I run a retail garden center in the spring. People will come in wanting a full pallet of Black mulch. (around 3,000 lbs) drop the gate on their trailer and tell me to drive the pallet of mulch up the gate with the fork-lift. (8,000 lbs)

cancan
07-21-2006, 04:33 PM
i had a potential customer ask me to ship a 1000 lb balled and burlap tree from maryland (eastcoast) to seatle washington:hammerhead:

jim dailey
07-23-2006, 09:25 PM
i had a potential customer ask me to ship a 1000 lb balled and burlap tree from maryland (eastcoast) to seatle washington:hammerhead:

Funny thing happened to me several years ago, while I was driving tow truck part time. Had to go to upstate New York, pick up a bailed and balled Dutch Elm tree. Had to deliver it to an estate on Cape Cod. It was going to be the backdrop for some high-society wedding pictures. Put it right into the hole with the car carrier. The landscapers were astonished. Figured the bill out for over $2500.00 for the day. The landscaper's paid for the tree at over $4000.00. They told me after, that they marked the tree up to over $10,000.00, plus additional labor cost, plus my costs. All so a picture could have a Dutch Elm in the background. Must be nice to have money....

POPO4995
07-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Last year I got that "Well this will be quicker" thought. I have a Garden Center about 500 feet up the highway from my shop. I had to get roughly 4,000 pounds of retaining wall block. I dont usually go there because I like the big Garden Center about 5 miles away in town....bigger, more product, give me business when I want it, etc. So I figure i'll be nice and give this guy business. (Dont like the guy either!) Anyways, tell the yard guys to load it up on the trailer and I go in and pay. I come out to find my truck at the time, in the air with the trailer tongue supporting the rear of the truck! They put the pallets at the rear of the trailer, which launched the truck in the air, and the force of all that made my trailer hitch snap off. :hammerhead: :hammerhead: Needless to say, new trailer hitch and bumper for me and nothing good to say about Mr. Wonderful down the road!

parkeeee
07-26-2006, 09:53 PM
I have to admit that I have personally done this. When my only 'hauling' vehicle was a s10 blazer, I'd load it to the gills with firewood. It was always a sloooow ride home in the distress lane.

When building a retaining wall at home, I instructed the yard person to put a pallet of stone in the back of my s10 pick-up truck slowly. I quickly had him stop and hand loaded about a third onto the truck.

:weightlifter:

Idealtim
08-26-2006, 12:43 AM
There is a supply yard 1/8 mile down the street from me and I have hauled 2 yards of process[yes, 2] with a 4*8 tilt trailer pulled by a ford 120 12hp garden tractor. Why, for patching my driveway, but with the tractor?... to win a bet of $50 that ''that can too hold that much!'' it was amazing that it could hold that much. Says something about those old tractors. But, I never put anybody in jeopardy except for the machines when I'm overloading, lol.

Let-it-mow!
08-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Had an old forklift at our shop that was dead on it's feet. Decided we were going to sell it at auction so we needed to move it across town.

5 of us spent about 2 hours loading it on a dual axle car trailer with come-alongs, jacks, and lots of chain. I don't know what a forklift weighs but they're heavy.

As soon as we got it in the center of the trailer, it blew out both tires on one side. Our heavy duty floor jack wouldn't budge the trailer.

We borrowed two more jacks and barely lifted the one side. Fixed the tires, and pumped them all up to nearly 100psi.

One of our guys towed it on the shoulder at about 10 miles per hour using our dump truck. 4 trucks with chains, jacks, and other equpment followed just in case. We made it the 3 or 4 miles without any problems.