PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes Grabbing

ed2hess
09-10-2005, 11:31 AM
The brake on one wheel is grabbing when I hit the brakes, not sure the other side is working. I have a add-on controller that has a sentivity setting and I have that on the lowest setting. I put on new brake linings and a new brake magnet. The first problem I had was it won't disengage quickly. So I backed the shoes further away from the hub. Now they grab rather than having a smooth stop. Do you think that the controller is the cause of the brakes not dropping quickly or the brake to hub adjustment?

lawnmaniac883
09-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Do we know who manufactured the brakes, how about the controller?

start2finish
09-10-2005, 09:03 PM
have you repacked the wheel bearing lately, doesn't have anything to do with brakes grabbing, but I you plan on reppacking the bearing, take the drum off during such and inspect the springs and make sure everything on both sides is hooked up and moves freely. These brake systems are fairly simple. The magnet sticks to the drum and the drum drags it forward or backward(depending on the direction you are going) and it pulls the shoe outward and rubs the drum. Also the magnet when it has juice will grab a piece of metal strongly. Test the other side well. Maybe post an inside pic when you tear down. Hopefully we can help diagnose if this didn't solve

ed2hess
09-11-2005, 12:01 PM
The controller is an add-on brand Drawtite and the brake linings that I put on were Dexter. I have had the hub off/on about 5 times during the summer looking/doing various things. The last time I had it off was to increase the distance between the linings and the hub to get the darn brakes to disengage. I cleaned all the return springs and lubed some of the pivot mechanisms. Hindsight suggest that when I first started having problems with the brakes I should have replaced the entire backplate which would have gave me entire new mechanism. I am afraid that since I put in new wiring(gnd/blue wire) all the way from front to back I am getting more current to the magnet quicker. Maybe the sensitivity lever on my controller is not working properly-not sure how to debug it.

start2finish
09-11-2005, 01:04 PM
we have 5 trucks with brake controllers, the last one we bought was a "prodigy" by tekonska. We love it, it is a little steep in price $125.00, but I am considering replacing all of the controllers because it works so smooth. Bear in mind we are stopping trailers hauling bobcats and large equipment. 10ton trailer 11 ton trailer 7 ton trailer, 5.5 ton trailer.

Green Grass
09-11-2005, 10:18 PM
To set the rear brakes lift the trailer off the ground so you can turn the tire. Tighten the brake shoes so that when you spin the tire there is a slight amount of drag when you rotate.

start2finish
09-12-2005, 06:56 AM
you need to remove the tire when you perform this process. You will set the brakes to close with the extra mechanical advantange of the tire. Do just like green grass said, but remove the tire and turn the drum until you get some drag. Try to match both sides.