PDA

View Full Version : Rodents and Organic Fertilizer

ITRY
09-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I was going to put down 200 lbs. of soybean meal on my own yard this fall. I was curious and wondered if anyone had increased rodent problems resultant from putting down ground corn or soybean meal. Especially since this won't be too far from when all the rodents are looking for a house to stay in when the cold weather comes. If I was a mouse, I would think what's better than a house with a yard full of food. Any comments?

Norm_2
09-10-2005, 06:20 PM
don't forget the rabbits and squirres, they are in the rodent family also.

nocutting
10-07-2005, 01:53 AM
You're a country rat visiting a new neighborhood / houseing development.............when outa the blue some crazy mexican comes blazein over the hill on a powered lawn mower[ yeee haaaaa]....that wonderful meadow is now only 2 inchs high?......suddenly a group of "Banditoes" are running around with powered string trimmers[ wizzzz,wizzzzz,wizzzzzzz ]....didnt anyone ever consider why suburban lawns have few or little wild-life as compared to the wooded boarders?.............................regarding the racial comments, sorry guys, just tryin to make a point [ could have been the Japs on Pearl Harbor Day], but no disrespect was intended :waving:

Microbe
10-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Nocutting your a funny dude! We should meet up one day and talk organics :D LOL... First off... Don't appologize for calling a hispanic lawn cutter a mexican... because 90% of them are, and there to illiterate to understand anything about a lawnmower, so forget about them operating a computer to read this site! LOL.... I"m sorry... But I just feel bad for all these homeowners who have homes that are worth 800,000 bucks and have people working for them who don't even know what grass is, what a fertilizer is, or what a lawnmower is.... I just think its pathetic the fact that most "WHITE,"Good hearted, educated, and people who are the foundation of america are getting sold out to people who can care less about the houses they cut and what results they get... ONe day america will realize when theres nobody left like myself and others........"ya know I can't find anybody who speaks english anymore, I feel like an alien in my own country." Keep selling us out america... "WHATEVER COMES AROUND GOES AROUND" :blob2:

Microbe
10-09-2005, 08:36 AM
If I sound like a "biget," I think thats how you spell it... then fine... But I"m just saying what my mind has captured threw the 26 years being on this planet... Nothing more,,, nothing less.......
Nocutting... you never really answered the gentlemans question regarding the soymeal... Or mabye you did..... Sounds like a good theory he had about applying soymeal... "the fact that it will attract wildlife." Theres nothing really worse than one day you come out and see 20 dig holes from squirrles in your newly seeded lawn that you prepared so beautifly in the fall! :waving:

NattyLawn
10-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Nocutting did answer the question, meaning all the activity of mowers, weed eaters, kids, adults, dogs, etc, would probably deter most wildlife from camping out...If it's that much of a concern, water the soybean meal in afterwards....

Bigot is the correct spelling...

leadarrows
10-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Your pest problem will most likely occur were you store it. Once spread on the lawn it's hasn't been a problem for me any way. Cracked corn attracting a few birds has been the extent of what I have observed.

quiet
10-09-2005, 11:33 AM
"there to illiterate"

"But I"m just saying what my mind has captured threw the 26 years being on this planet... Nothing more,,, nothing less......."

"20 dig holes from squirrles in your newly seeded lawn that you prepared so beautifly in the fall!"

"I just think its pathetic the fact that most "WHITE,"Good hearted, educated, and people who are the foundation of america are getting sold out to people who can care less about the houses they cut and what results they get... ONe day america will realize when theres nobody left like myself and others........"ya know I can't find anybody who speaks english anymore, I feel like an alien in my own country." Keep selling us out america..."

Today 05:28 AM

You got up early on Sunday morning to spew this on the Organic forum. Your mind needs to capture some more in your next 26 years.

"I just think its pathetic . . ."

Yeah, we do too.

Microbe
10-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Mabye I shouldn't have, but I just lost 2 customers to another "landscape company," which beat my price by like 6 bucks a week... That was wrong of me I appologize...

gil
10-13-2005, 11:52 PM
I don't know about you guys, but around my area the only people that can do a good job are south americans.
Anyway, I've been using organic fertilizer and I never had any problems with rodents. I did have some trouble with skunks but the milky spores did the job in 1 season.
Gil

green_mark
12-13-2005, 01:43 PM
I have a solution to storing organic fertilizer while not having rodents.

Years ago, I had a warehouse full of dry organic fertilizer and the mice loved it. They moved in. Not in two's or four's but in hundreds. It was so bad that they ran all over us (yes us!) during the day. Pee all over our desks, chairs you name it.

My office was overrun. I called in exterminators who said they could not help because their bate was also food and with about 60 tons of food in the warehouse what would make them want to eat this?

What did I do? I added a flavor to the fertilizer that made them not want to eat it. We never had mice again.

This flavoring agent also stopped my grub and mole problems.

www.farmcropextracts.com