PDA

View Full Version : why not slit seed, and aerate?

bobbygedd
09-10-2005, 03:56 PM
since each procedure, serves its own purpose, why does everyone say don't do both aerating, and slitseeding, at the same time?

Turfdude
09-10-2005, 04:59 PM
What's the answer professor?? Actually, what's your answer??

bobbygedd
09-10-2005, 05:01 PM
What's the answer professor?? Actually, what's your answer??
i asked you, first

rodfather
09-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Simple. Why would you slitseed directly into your core plugs laying on top of the ground :dizzy:

Jason Rose
09-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Ok, give me a good answer to this one... I always thought that areating, and then slit seeding was the best possible way to overseed a lawn! Usually most of the plugs lying around get broken up by the slicer so that's a plus. Another plus is that some of the seed actually falls in the areation holes and germs. there.

If you only areate and seed then it's likely that the only seed to really come up is what's in the holes, running the slicer, or slit seeder, over it gets a much higher % of seed in contact with the soil.

grasswhacker
09-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Ok, give me a good answer to this one... I always thought that areating, and then slit seeding was the best possible way to overseed a lawn! Usually most of the plugs lying around get broken up by the slicer so that's a plus. Another plus is that some of the seed actually falls in the areation holes and germs. there.

If you only areate and seed then it's likely that the only seed to really come up is what's in the holes, running the slicer, or slit seeder, over it gets a much higher % of seed in contact with the soil.

Correct on that answer.

TScapes
09-12-2005, 01:59 PM
First of all, these are two separate services, and should be charged accordingly. You have to charge for both otherwise you are giving them an additional service for free. Who benefits from that? You? No... the customer does.

In an ideal situation, you should average 75-85% return from a core aeration and overseeding. That percentage increases to >90% with slit seeding. If you utilize both services, you are making two trips across the lawn, if not more since to slit seed properly, you should criss cross the lawn.

We charge $40-45 per thousand for Aeration/Seeding with a fert app. We get up to $60 per thousand for Slitseeding!

bobbygedd
09-12-2005, 04:34 PM
First of all, these are two separate services, and should be charged accordingly. You have to charge for both otherwise you are giving them an additional service for free. Who benefits from that? You? No... the customer does.

In an ideal situation, you should average 75-85% return from a core aeration and overseeding. That percentage increases to >90% with slit seeding. If you utilize both services, you are making two trips across the lawn, if not more since to slit seed properly, you should criss cross the lawn.

We charge $40-45 per thousand for Aeration/Seeding with a fert app. We get up to $60 per thousand for Slitseeding!
thank you. we get $105 per k. of course i know you have to charge for each service. but, some people only aerate +seed.

turfsurfer
09-17-2005, 08:45 PM
I aerate the entire yard, then overseed, then for an ADDITIONAL charge I will slit seed any large bare areas that will not necessarily fill in with just aeration and throw some more seed in those areas.

dcondon
09-17-2005, 10:24 PM
I aerate the entire yard, then overseed, then for an ADDITIONAL charge I will slit seed any large bare areas that will not necessarily fill in with just aeration and throw some more seed in those areas.

I did a big job yesterday the same way. It can only help IMO :)

rick2752
09-18-2005, 12:56 AM
How deep are your plugs? I dont think seed is going to germinate down in a 2" hole ???is it??? That is why I never did them together.

dmhemeyer
09-18-2005, 01:07 AM
I had very good luck last year on my own lawn by first mowing it short, broadcasting on the seed, and then core aerating (several passes on very thin areas), and then dragging a section of a cattle panel (welded fence panel) over the lawn to knock the cores into fine particles. The first rain covered most all of the seed for an excellent stand.

Dave

turfcobob
09-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Bobby Gedd, Jason Rose is correct. It is best if you can aerate then overseed behind the aeration. Be careful not to be too soon. It must be damp to wet to aerate and dry to damp to overseed. IF you go too soon after the aeration the wet muddy plugs can mess up your seeding job.

Wait for the plugs to dry then overseed.

Charge accordingly, do not give either service away.

Tufcobob

Jason Rose
09-20-2005, 12:34 AM
good point about the dryer overseeding... it sucks trying to work with all the muddy plugs! If it's a warm sunny day and a medium to large lawn then usually it will start to dry before you get done areating... I just did one saturday, yeah it's a muddy mess at times, but it was about 90 degrees so it wasn't too bad, lol. Hard to make everything perfect, unless you have unlimited time on your hands.