PDA

View Full Version : Too soon to Overseed and Renovate?

keperkey
09-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Knoxville, Tennessee

15 day forecast has temps between 82 and 87 for next 15 days. Planned to start overseed and renovating on or about the 15 to ensure 6 weeks of growth before November 1. Is is too early to start. Should I wait until temps are going to be less than 80?

Thanks

muddstopper
09-10-2005, 05:06 PM
85 is not out of range for cool season grasses to start germinating, especially with the cooler night time temperatures. Moisture, or lack of, is what is going to make the difference now in how long it takes the grass to germinate and grow. Nov 1st isnt necessary the cut off date for seeding cool season grasses either in your area. I have had good luck up to and including seeding on Thanksgiving. Donot get carried away with rye, (annual) if you are using it for a nurse grass, seed blends that contain a 80/20 ratio of turf to rye can result in lawns that are predomanatly rye and die out by late May and early June.

keperkey
09-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Plan was to use Southern Gold

timturf
09-11-2005, 01:32 AM
what is in southern gold?

muddstopper
09-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Tim, Southern Gold is a TTTF developed for more southern regions. I have tried it in Western Nc and havent liked it that well.The NTEP has a testing station in Knoxsville and The Southern States Brand called Southern Choice ranks higher in the evaluations. I have used it for some time now and like the results. I have it in my own lawn. Southern Gold might work better in the lower elevation areas such as the foothills of Tenn and NC and maybe even in your area of Va, but for the more mountainous areas, I like Southern Choice better.

sparechange
09-11-2005, 12:38 PM
I just finished spraying my entire yard with glyphosphate. I am going to seed next weekend with Combat Extreme. I am probably pushing the temp extremes here in middle Tennessee.

keperkey
09-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Just got my soil tests back and it suggests using high nitrogen for establishment. The soil had real high P and K. What do you think about the high nitrogen?