PDA

View Full Version : anybody experienced about bluegrass billbugs?

kickin sum grass
09-10-2005, 07:00 PM
I have been treating a few lawns for brown patch this summer but they continue to grow in area. I am convinced that the fungus is under control as I used a combination of a contact and systemic each time. The last time I was out all the blades look disease free yet the areas are getting larger. I have been reading about billbugs and they say it also looks like disease damage in the affected areas. I have never ran arcoss billbugs to date so would like some first had info and the best way/ways to check these areas.

thanks in advance

out till dark
09-10-2005, 10:12 PM
With the hot dry conditions here im seeing chinch bugs on some fine fescue and bentgrass lawns.

Just peel back the turf on the fringe of the infected areas that are still green.Chinch bugs like south southwest facing sloped turf. If its on ff or bentgrass than its probably chinch bugs.

Hope this helps.

kcchiefs58
09-11-2005, 12:23 AM
pill back the grass, it should pick up pretty easy, and look for a grain of rice with a red head. that in effect is what a billbug looks like. these insects are below the crown of the grass where the thatch layer meets the soil. in my area bilbugs are pretty much gone so you might not see any.

Big Hoss
09-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Don't confuse them with the Big Eyed Bugs as they are beneficial and eat the billbugs.

Big Hoss