PDA

View Full Version : My new truck!

Howie's Lawn Care
09-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Hey guys,
I ended up getting a new Ford Ranger. Let me know what you thing of the deal. Sorry no pics.

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
102,500 Miles
4.0L Engine
Automatic
Crew Cab 4-Door
Delta Pro Toolbox
Canvas Cover
Towing package
Cd-Player
Air Conditioner
Off-Road Package
All power
Alloy wheels
Black

15MPG City! 19MPG Highway! :cool2:

$6618.00 plus taxes and finance charges (5.5% interest)
What do you guys think? Did I do well or not so swell.

scottishmaximus
09-11-2005, 01:12 AM
I really don't think the fuel mileage is that impressive.

Dirty Water
09-11-2005, 01:20 AM
102k in 5 years? Wow.

I bought a '94 explorer last year with only 97k on it. Grandpa owned :)

TWUllc
09-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Yeah, they are some high miles on that vehicle.

UNISCAPER
09-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Were they highway or city miles? It is very easy to run 40K a year in our area, but then there is alot of highway travel.

I'm glad you posted the milage. I am at this juncture consdering a mini truck just for my own puddle jumping uses from job to job as I no longer really need a 1 ton for myself.

I was looking at the Ranger, Colorado, and Dakota, even found a few year old S-10. At the 10K basic price a new or off lease would cost, and the milage you post, it would take quite a while to offset the payments/cost of the truck. It appears that every mini truck is running near the same milage.

So, I'm waiting for the US Navy auction after the first of the year. They sell lots of Rangers and S-10's and if you buy 10 of them, you can usually pick them up with less than 50K on the odometer, for near the 2K mark. It is very easy to unload the units you don't need, and these are typical military order, painted white, stripos.

At 2-4K for the truck, the milage pencils out. Then when I'm done with it, I can jack up the nose and add 26" travel Fox suspension, gas coil over shocks and a chevy small block with a slush box to go play in the dessert.

The specs don't sound bad on what you got, but the milage and fuel economy don't work for me. And then there is supply and demand. What else is out there in that price range?

lawnmaniac883
09-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Im surprised the mileage is only 15city 20hwy.

Howie's Lawn Care
09-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Were they highway or city miles? It is very easy to run 40K a year in our area, but then there is alot of highway travel.

I'm glad you posted the milage. I am at this juncture consdering a mini truck just for my own puddle jumping uses from job to job as I no longer really need a 1 ton for myself.

I was looking at the Ranger, Colorado, and Dakota, even found a few year old S-10. At the 10K basic price a new or off lease would cost, and the milage you post, it would take quite a while to offset the payments/cost of the truck. It appears that every mini truck is running near the same milage.

So, I'm waiting for the US Navy auction after the first of the year. They sell lots of Rangers and S-10's and if you buy 10 of them, you can usually pick them up with less than 50K on the odometer, for near the 2K mark. It is very easy to unload the units you don't need, and these are typical military order, painted white, stripos.

At 2-4K for the truck, the milage pencils out. Then when I'm done with it, I can jack up the nose and add 26" travel Fox suspension, gas coil over shocks and a chevy small block with a slush box to go play in the dessert.

The specs don't sound bad on what you got, but the milage and fuel economy don't work for me. And then there is supply and demand. What else is out there in that price range?
They're highway miles because the guy drove a half hour to work everyday. I imagine the miles will even out with me driving it and be about average whenever I decide to sell it. My 89' Ranger needs new lifters and power steering unit. It does run fine though...sounds like a deisel engine because of the lifters. Anyone have any idea of what lifters and power steering unit might run me before and after labor? I was thinking I could get liability insurance on the 89' and put the majority of the wear and tear on it not to mention better gas mileage. My 89' only has 90,000 miles and is a very clean for its age. I thoght the price was right, how about you guys? I need to get plates for the 2000. How much cheaper is it to just transfer plates from the 89' since I need to get it fixed anyway. I need to keep cash money in the bank so I can get some stuff for next year. I'll probably get a trailer (auction maybe), a new 21", a Shindaiwa trimmer, and trailer racks. I also have a car payment, insurance payment, and a nice gas bill in the near future.

Lawnworks
09-11-2005, 05:32 PM
I bought a '98 Ford Ranger 60k miles, auto, XLT, for $3700. I get an average of 20 mpg which really is not that great. My buddies Dodge/Cummins 2500 gets 20 mpg unloaded.

All Seasons Landscaping
09-12-2005, 07:27 PM
yeah, my friend had a ranger (maybe a 2000, actually) with the 4.0. they really aren't great on mileage. pretty much any truck, unless it's 2wd, 4cyl, 5 speed is gonna get crappy mileage. and yeah, that isn't hard to put those kind of miles on a vehicle, i've driven about 30k a year for the past 8 years. as long as they're highway miles, and the truck had routine maintenance, it should be fine. my ram has 150k and no problems, my dakota (plow truck) had over 200k when i sold it and was still strong. as for price, a quick eBay check shows those trucks going for $4,500-8k, so what you paid seems reasonable. good luck with it, hope it treats you well!

efaubert1
09-13-2005, 09:09 AM
NADA average retail on that unit would be about 10K, so you didn't do bad from that perspective. High mileage is what you make of it, as long as it was truly maintained well. But the mpg isn't impressive at all for the 4.0 V6. My wifes Explorer only got 16 at the best, and I get better than that with my F250 7.3PSD empty, and around 13mpg towing.

beaver
09-24-2005, 07:36 PM
my 99' ranger 4x4 gets 13.5-14.5 towing (lots of hills). The best I ever got towing (2 scag mowers) was 16.