PDA

View Full Version : Trailer size you would use?

Varsity L&G
09-11-2005, 06:54 PM
What size trailer would you use for the toro 44 WB and a 22 push?

After this past weekend I have decided that maybe my trailer I currently have is a little to big for me right now. The current trailer is a 14'+/- dual axle with brakes.

Fubba
09-11-2005, 07:07 PM
I've got a 6.5' X 10'. I carry a 52" Exmark and 42" Scotts on it. The Scotts, I have to turn sideways with the Exmark behind it. A 5' X 10' would be good for you I would think.

Grn Mtn
09-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Fubba is on the money. I also use a 6.5 x 10 and find it to be a very good size for smaller operations. I've modified mine allot recently to improve efficiency: Walled in the sides to keep rocks/mulch/leaves from falling out, shortened the interior 13" from the nose creating a 6.5' x 13" pocket, perfect for holding gas cans/blowers,rakes,shovels. Trimmer Rack up front, loads of tie downs everywhere, and stake pockets so I can extend the sides for mulch/leaves. Loads of reflective tape and extra lighting. For mowing I haul a Toro 48" WB w/ bagger and a 21" push. This size trailer will still fit through bank drive-thu's, a major convenience, yet you can see it in your mirrors. I believe if you buy a smaller trailer you'll find yourself wishing you had bigger one (that is unless you keep your 14'er around as a spare)

Mike's Yard Services
09-11-2005, 09:05 PM
5x10 here, hauling the Z and a 21".room to spare..........rest of gear safely and securely stored under the flat topper on the truck.

Jason Rose
09-11-2005, 09:45 PM
I agree, a 6.5' x 10' would be great. But I also agree, don't sell off the bigger trailer unless you absolutely have too.

The 14' dual axle with brakes is a perfect trailer for a small operation IMO. A dual axle trailer will tow much nicer and give a much smoother ride for the cargo than any single axle. And the fact that it has brakes is a definate plus. I assume your truck has a brake controler and you are using those brakes, right?

Room to move around on a trailer is always nice. What if you need to haul other things along with the mowers you have? Add a tool box? haul a bigger mower someday? Hey, take it from a guy that's made the mostakes before... selling something you always take a loss, and if you then decide to replace it, you have to pay thru the nose. AND, buying small, thinking that it's "all you need" is never going to be "all you need" in a few years.

I started with a 6.5 x 10 single axle, sold it after a few years for a 6'7" x 14 single axle (which was a POS) sold that for a 6'7" x 20' which is what I'm keeping forever... I'm solo, and I always have the trailer filled. Last winter I bought a nice 6.5' x 8' trailer with a ramp gate just to haul stuff so I don't have to unload the lawn trailer and drag it around for little things.

Varsity L&G
09-11-2005, 10:51 PM
I will never sell the big trailer. I'll post up a pic if I can find one real fast.

I was thinking of a smaller one only because I think this big heavy thing is a little too much for me right now.

We use this trailer also for hauling our 4x4 rigs around from trail to trail.

The pic below is not my trailer but is just like it, we bought them at the same time. We got them new with used tires from the manuf. of them for a great deal. I took mine a month later and put new trailer tires on it. He still has the crap tires on his.

Yes I have a brake controller. I love it!

MOZE4MUNY
09-13-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm using a 5x10 for a Walker and a 21" trim. Rack it up right and it will work very nicely. I will be honest, I wish it was a foot or a foot and a half wider though, even 2 feet longer. It is an efficient and manuverable package...hell I use the drive through at the golden arches and never look in the mirror, but when you need to carry a fert spreader, wheel barrow, pressure washer etc. you are using the truck bed. I guess it's all situational compromise. My advice is 5x10 is a minimum, not preferred.

South Florida Lawns
09-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Looks like you put a serious beating on your jeep. Gotta love those unabodies.

hole in one lco
09-13-2005, 11:43 PM
im running 2 48 lescos on a 5-8 for my residential