PDA

View Full Version : Tree pruning

BenchMark Landscaping
09-12-2005, 12:08 AM
My dad's next door neighbor wants me to prune their tree some...I was going to charge by the hour...$30 an hour...

my mom told me that I should charge more...:D

anyways, I was wondering what yall think I should charge per hour...it will require a chainsaw, that I have, and a ladder that I also have...
I was also wondering if yall think I should give a discount to them because they are my parent's neighbors...my parents told me to charge them what I would charge anyone else...

thanks for the help...

radracer
09-12-2005, 01:18 AM
This is my first year as well. I like to at least get $35.00- $40.00 an hour (it depends on where you live) but, don't forget to add dump fees and traveling time to and from dump and unloading time as well. Hope this helps

out4now
09-12-2005, 01:42 AM
;) Is that all you can get in that area? You should be at least double or more that. Don't work from a ladder. You're asking for trouble.

sheshovel
09-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Well it dosent take long to cut off some limbs.If you know what you are doing charge by the job,not the hour.I suggest you do some reasearch on pruning mature tree's before you take on this work.There is more skill involved that you might think and some knowlage of the proper way to prune a tree is a neccesity here.Look on treesaregood.com

Coffeecraver
09-12-2005, 04:57 AM
The first thing you should consider is do you need to prune. Reasons to prune include to remove dead branches, remove crowded or rubbing limbs, or to eliminate hazards. Trees also are pruned to increase light penetration to the ground so that lower level plants like grass will receive more sun and grow better. For grass this is only a temporary fix and it is recommended that shady areas be used as beds instead of grass lawn.

When pruning off branches it is good to remember that the foliage of a tree is there to capture energy from the sun. This energy is then used to make food for the tree. If you cut off branches, the tree has less leaves to manufacture food for itself. Cut enough foliage off a tree and over time it will starve to death. This is why you should never prune more than ľ of a trees live branches at any one time.

If you find you have reasons to prune then it is best to remember that pruning is an injury to a tree and that trees donít react to injuries the same way people do.

With this in mind the big concept is that trees donít heal. Instead, injured trees compartmentalize or wall off the injured area and then grow around it. This walling off only occurs at three areas; scientifically these are the growth rings, cells called rays and finally, the one most important to pruning, the branch collar. The injured area wonít grow back, but instead if pruning is done correctly the tree will grow around the injured area. Thus a pruning cutís location is critical to a treeís response in growth and wound closure. To prune properly, pruning cuts should be made just outside the branch collar. The branch collar is the swollen part where the branch connects to a larger branch or the trunk of a tree. Leaving the branch collar allows the tree to wall off the injury. If you cut the branch collar off, then you get a rotten hole into the trunk that can weaken the tree. Finally, remember if the branch is larger than eight inches in diameter, the tree may have a hard time walling off that injury even if done properly. This is one reason why it is best to prune trees when they are young.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-4.pdf

And as Sheshovel metioned go to treesaregood.com,and read further before taking on the job

BenchMark Landscaping
09-12-2005, 08:59 PM
thanks for all the suggestions...I decided to charge by the job...She has about 4 to 5 branches 1-2" thick that need to be pruned back the trunk collar...and there are also 2-3 branches about 8-10" thick that need to be pruned back the the trunk collar....she wants to prune the tree to get more light to the turf below...

also, there are stubs from a previous pruning that are between 5inches to 2 feet from the trunk collar...and they need to be pruned back...a couple are starting to rot at the ends...was wondering if it would be wise to prune these back to the trunk collar while I was up in the harness...I told her that I would look at them closer when I got up in the tree and let her know what I could do with them...

I also have a harness to suspend me in the tree and I'll have someone there to spot me and so I have another set of "eyes"...

Coffeecraver
09-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Yes cut the stubs back