PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding Fertilizer ???

Lost Pine
09-12-2005, 01:01 PM
After overseeding with Transitions seed from Lesco, does anyone suggest a fertilizer to help it along....?? Which Fert if any can I get from Lesco..??

LOST PINE

ITL
09-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Lost Pine

We have been using Lesco Starter Fert 18-24-12 for overseeding established lawns that do not have a good fertilizer program in effect. We just started slitseeding last weekend so it is a bit early to know if it will produce good results.

Lost Pine
09-13-2005, 06:54 AM
Lost Pine

We have been using Lesco Starter Fert 18-24-12 for overseeding established lawns that do not have a good fertilizer program in effect. We just started slitseeding last weekend so it is a bit early to know if it will produce good results.

Please let me know the results ..................

baddboygeorge
09-16-2005, 10:00 PM
lesco is decent but dont let there name cost ya more . we use a custom blended starter thats a 16-27-14 an its awesome. we've been seeing germenation in 7 days . we have also been using a custom blended fescue for the past few years with great success. i dont deal with lesco beacuase i hate no it alls an believe me they dont know everything!!an besides that it seems like everytime i go there they seem to have an attitude. good luck george

ITL
09-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Lost Pine

Friday morning we are seeing spots of the new grass. This is 6 days as we started on Saturday 10SE05. The key I suspect is keeping the grass seed damp. These people did wat we asked. The other item to remember is that most likely we are seeing the 19percent rye up first followed by the balance of fescue. I suspect the amount of water, temp, and the seed type are the key to quick germination. Suspect the fert will pay more results when the after initial germination.

Badboygeo

What qind of price are you getting on the custom blent start fert and fescue seed. Is it only available in Louisville. I would agree there are many other options for fert and seed that make good choices at a savings over the big brands

Jason Rose
09-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Lesco guys have always told me that with overseeding it's not really that important to use a "starter" fert. Using a 32-3-8 fall fert. is fine. (still 1 lb. of N per K).

I talked to a fool the other day that was going on about how he used "tripple 13" from the Coop for his fert. I said " you do realize that that is ammonium nitrate and you would be better off using ANYTHING other than that. 13-13-13 is HOTTER than 46-0-0 urea." He thought I was nuts of course... Most ppl can't grasp the concept the almost all ferts are applied at 1 lb. of N per K. The % of nitrogen only effect the application rate, not how much it greens or "burns" a lawn or new seedlings.