PDA

View Full Version : Dry!!!!!!!!!!!

philk17088
09-12-2005, 08:45 PM
ANybody in the Northeast doing ANY apps?
Totally bone dry andburnt up here.
No real rain in site for another entire week
What is everybody else doing?
:help:

heritage
09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
We are in a holding pattern too.......nightime temps down to 53 so we are close to cool season grass take off, just need some rain and we are good to go on the broadleaf/fert app.
Pete D.

lawn king
09-12-2005, 10:10 PM
It's quite dry south of boston( highest cost of living area in the USA). We are on fall apps and lawns are starting to kick in, an inch or two of rain and we will be alright. We are holding off on aerations until soil has enough moisture to pull decent cores.

FINN
09-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Lining up aeration/ overseed work but waiting for some moisture. Have done some fert. Weed control also on hold. Distributed 1000 flyers in select areas/neighborhoods promoting fall lawn care etc. Have had 3 calls in as many days. So dry people know not much can be done right now. It's going to be a mad dash to the finish when the weather gets better.

mikesturf
09-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Waiting to do aerations until October. Have been dethatching/power raking dead grass and reseeding. I have to wear a dusk mask because the soil is so dry and powdery!

sjj14
09-13-2005, 09:17 AM
i am calling customers 3-5 days ahead of time and telling them to water just to soften the ground so I can make penetration with seeder/aerator. No apps though, holding pattern as well. Thought Ophelia may bring some relief but not to be!!

philk17088
09-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Anybody sending out a note or letter to apps customers?

mikesturf
09-13-2005, 08:52 PM
I aerated some lawns last March/April. In September, I can still see the aeration holes!

GreenOasisLI
09-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Things have been super dry in Long Island. Holding of on aeration and seeding until next week at least.

NattyLawn
09-14-2005, 06:42 PM
We finally got some rain today! Hopefully it continues throughout the night...

dvmcmrhp52
09-14-2005, 07:02 PM
I saw chemlawn out today...........whats that tell you?

Yes, it is VERY dry here, landscape shrubs and the like are starting to die off as well.

The weeds are going to take over next spring.

lawn king
09-15-2005, 08:08 AM
I think you PA. boys had a worse dry spell than us. It's very dry her'e but i wouldn't call it a state of complete drought dormancy, we had that in 2000 and it was butt ugly. I recall that chicago (greatest city in the USA) was in a dry state as well. Just hang in ther'e, inform the clients that the maximum % of grasses will return if they continue with the program. I can tell you from my experience over 28 seasons that it's all relevent, the rain you didin't receive over the growing season will fall as snow this winter! payup payup

Grass Busters Inc.
09-15-2005, 07:15 PM
I may be dry by you, but it is like the dust bowl in Chicago has we have been in the EXTREME drought section for three months now :angry:

dvmcmrhp52
09-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Pennsylvania, or at least our area is not considered a drought area too much due to a lot of rain early in the year..........we are only 2 inches behind for "average" yearly rainfall but we haven't had rain lately making things QUITE dry.

philk17088
09-15-2005, 08:42 PM
We finally got some rain today! Hopefully it continues throughout the night...
Not any here in Lebanon county. Maybe tomorrow

Grass Busters Inc.
09-16-2005, 01:19 AM
Officially from WGN we are down 11 inches of rain :cry: Talk about dry! this is what are lawns look like :angry: just took the picture today :D

garydale
09-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Dry in mid-Maryland too.

We are fertilizing with 100% slow release 39-0-0 on lawn that are not severely stressed and doing pelletized lime on others.

Staying off badly stressed lawns and advising homeowners to stay off with mower so not to crush plant crowns.

Using this time to Spot treat weeds, spray nutsedge and take soil samples.

Selling aeration/seed,slice seeding and total renovations.

Tree and shrub programs kept up cash flow.

Made up a flyer encouraging homeowners to look into irrigation and included six irrigation contractor names&numbers.

We need a friendly east coast hurricane.

Gary