PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

DynaMow
09-13-2005, 01:10 AM
I am doing my first paver patio and I have questions about the soldier course (the edge pavers).

Do I have to use that plastic stuff you nail into the ground?

Do I sent these pavers on top of the 1" sand base or do I use the stone base up 1" to height?

I am worried about this soldier course, it really is the only thing, I think, I am not sure of at this time.

Dreams To Designs
09-13-2005, 11:12 AM
You don't have to use the plastic edging, but you do have to use some sort of edging. I would recommend Pave Tech or Snap Edge edging. Both of these are durable, reasonably priced and easy to install. Your base must run at least 6' past the edge of the finished patio, including the soldier course. You need that for stability and a surface to nail the edging in. Spikes 10"-12" long, spiral and non-galvanized seem to hold the best for my designs. The soldier course should be laid on the same base as the rest of the pavers. 4"-6" of compacted base and 1" of course concrete sand, edged, then compacted. A soldier course is not that hard and adds the framing to your art work. Take you time, make your cuts clean and wrap around the curves.

Kirk

bigviclbi
09-13-2005, 03:43 PM
You can also use concrete for the edging, just slope down from the pavers so grass gravel etc. can cover it up.