PDA

View Full Version : Fall Pre-emergent

Rebs
09-13-2005, 08:11 PM
What do you use for your Fall pre-emerge? Do most of you use Simazine or do you use Barricade, Aqua Cap, PreM?

I have always used Simazine in the past, but looking at using Aqua Cap this Fall to get a better control of Poa Anna.

Oh yea, this would be liquid not fert.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

ThreeWide
09-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Applying Barricade in granular form in August-September.

Then a round of Simazine liquid later in the Fall. Any Poa that slipped through will knocked out by the Simazine.

Rebs
09-14-2005, 11:00 AM
What formula of Fert/Barricade do you use on bermuda lawns? And at what rate? When you do your fall app of simazine do yoy spray simazine only or do you have to add a trimec(3 way) mixture?

Thanks for the info

ThreeWide
09-14-2005, 04:45 PM
The fertilizer applied with Barricade depends on exactly when you apply it, and what the rest of your program looks like. Not an easy answer.

For example, mid-August applications got 32-3-12 while the ones in early September got 16-2-16. For mid September and later I would go with 8-2-34. This is because you don't want too much N this late, and you do need the extra P. Either way, getting the correct AI of Barricade is much more important than what fertilizer you use. This time all you need is 0.50 lbs per Acre.

The ones I hit in October/November will be Simazine with 0-0-62 mixed in. This app will occur very close to or just after dormancy. As you know the time for this varies every year. Bermuda needs the P prior to Winter. I had already considered possibly adding in some Trimec, but that will largely depend on what broadleafs are present at the time. Simazine actually is effective on many of them. But considering that Barricade was already applied, there should be little to deal with.

Some will say that you can get by with Simazine alone, which might very well be true. I'd rather have the protection against the Poa that starts germinating early in the season, which Barricade provides.

quiet
09-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Ditto to TurfUnlimited's response.

And the carrier isn't of concern, merely the AI.

I'm using granular Barricade on DG Pro; no fert carrier at all.

1/2 rate now, and 1/2 rate in December after the lawns go dormant. Lasts just about 12 mos.

Rebs
09-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Quiet
what kind of price are you getting for your Barricade. I used Aqua cap this past Spring with good results. I am thinking about spraying it now to try and keep the Poa down. Then on first service next Jan/Feb putting Aqua Cap (.5 oz/1000) with Reward down. Then on 2nd service using Aqua Cap (.5oz/1000)

I have always used Simazine in the fall, but Poa was so bad this past year I want to get a jump on it.

Any comments or suggestions?

I have not heard any prices on Cavalade (sp) yet. Have you?

Thanks