PDA

View Full Version : adding cobblestones to driveway

DAVELAWN
09-13-2005, 08:55 PM
I have a customer that wants her driveway enlarged about 1.5ft on either side. She wants cobblestones dug in, level with the driveway. The driveway measures 37 feet on each side. What kind of a base should I use, there won't be constant car traffic on it, but sometimes there will so I obviously don't want them to sink. I have never done something like this before, looking for some hints on the base needed, and any other tips, thanks! Even pricing help?

mbella
09-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Even though there won't be constant traffic, there will be traffic and you should prepare it with that in mind.

Assuming the existing driveway is asphalt, I would cut a straight edge on both sides of the driveway. I would angle the cutting edge slightly inward so when you lay the pavers there isn't a gap between the pavers and the asphalt.

Excavate as wide of an area as you need to accommodate the pavers plus 10-12". Excavate a depth to accommodate pavers, 1" of sand and the base aggregate. Typically, I would install 10-12" of aggregate. However, the amount would depend on the loads which will be placed on the pavement, suitability of subsoil, etc.

Install separation fabric to cover the bottom and the sides of the excavated area. Make sure you run the fabric up both sides. This will prevent any of your base material from migrating into voids in the driveway base.

Install the base aggregate, sand and pavers

DAVELAWN
09-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the advice. Ballpark....what would you charge for something like this? Also by aggregate do you mean a stone mix, say 3/8?

mbella
09-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Dave, bare bones minimum $1800.00. Please, take the time to figure out what you need to charge.

As far as the aggregate, check with the manufacturer of the paving material you will use and see what they recommend and how it's referred to locally.