PDA

View Full Version : Rockhounding??

Greenkeepers
03-15-2001, 07:49 PM
Hey Guys & Gals-

I got a call today for rockhounding a property approx .4 acre.... I just got the bobcat and I'm going to have to rent the rockhound approx $125 day. I was thinking of charging between $335 + tax for it. Thats $60 per (3 hr min) hour plus 125 for the rental and $30 for travel. what do you thin.

Help is appreciated....

guntruck
03-15-2001, 08:01 PM
Dont mean to sound foolish but whats rockhounding?

Greenkeepers
03-15-2001, 08:04 PM
Rockhound is an attachment that goes on a bobcat.. Also called a preparator and something like a harley rake. It smooths the ground out and takes out out debris (rocks,building mats etc....) to prepare for seeding/sod.

paul
03-15-2001, 08:13 PM
We get $ 750 for the day figure your time out picking up the rental unit plus returning it most of the day is wasted

John Allin
03-16-2001, 12:41 PM
We have 1/2 dozen rockhounds and Bobcats..... for what you described, we'd get $650.

Where's the debris going? If you're hauling it off site, you should figure that in. How you getting the unit there?? Truck and trailer?? Figure that in. Gonna grease it once you're done?? You'd better. Figure that in too.

Your 3 hours... is that "portal to portal" ?? If not, it should be. We figure in the travel in the time alloted for the job. Employees get paid for travel... you should be paid for their time... and if you don't have employees, get paid for YOUR time.

Greenkeepers
03-16-2001, 01:38 PM
John-

Thanks for the response, I called the guy back and left a message so hopefully he'll call me tonight.

Some answers to you'r questions I havn't gone and looked at the site yet but I'm assuming that I'm going to have to haul the rock away. The job site is about 7 min from my house and I will be using my truck and trailer to get it there.

I will be running the machine so it's my labor. rental rates for the machine and rockhound go for 300 here so I figure that he could go and rent it for that.

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot here because I just got the machine and don't want people thinking that I'm way too high!

What to do??? It doesn't pay for itself sitting in the shop....

CHC
03-17-2001, 06:41 PM
Just running some rough figures, & not knowing what you tow with, how clean he wants the property, how far you have to haul debris, or what you pay yourself, it looks like your cost is going to be at least $300 - $400. Frankly, I like John's figure. Its not real wise to base your pricing on the going rate all the time. Base it on your costs and how much you'd like to make on each job.

EarthTech Landscapes
03-18-2001, 05:46 AM
i charge 85.00 per hour with a 3 hr min. plus on top of that comes the hauling and dump fee cost. Don't go to low or you will not make any money.

osc
03-21-2001, 08:10 PM
I would look at it more like what you want for the day. Is that 4 acres or .4 acres? Four acres will take a long time if you want to do a good job. I wouldn't even pull up to the site for 300.
By the way, don't try to raise that RockHound up to dump into a truck with a 773 or smaller. A RockHound is very heavy and once you load it with rocks you can forget raising the bucket more than 2 feet off the ground or you'll tip forward.