PDA

View Full Version : Wasps - need to kill a nest

Lawn Sharks
09-14-2005, 01:53 PM
While working on quote for a customer I kicked a juniper bush that is lowlying and thousands of wasps came out. One bit me on the leg. The owner asked what they should do to kill the wasp nest without killing the juniper?

I told them I would ask the pros at LawnSite and get back to them. Any ideas what they can spray?

Thanks!

TOMMY1115
09-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Most of your insecticides should be safe to use on ornamentals.
I'd go with Talstar or Tempo personally.

GreenUtah
09-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Unless they have a 25 gallon or up sized sprayer and a place to spray another thousand or so bushes, talstar and tempo would not exactly be in the realm of homeowners usage and mixing, not to mention that both of those products should not be available in your state to homeowners. A phone number to the local tree spraying service or other insect control(licensed) company in the area is going to be the most economical and effective solution.

Lawn Sharks
09-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I will pass this info along.

Ric
09-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Lawn Shark

Make it easy on your self and your customer. Just buy a can of Wasp& Hornet Killer at the local hardware store. It has a long range and is normal Pyrethroid based AI. Pyrethroid is the fastest knock down and only takes seconds to work.

BTW should you get stung again Wet Tobacco is still the best treatment to draw out the poison and stop the pain. Sudsing Ammonia is great for ants bites and will work also but Wet Tobacco is still # 1 on wasp stings

Lawn Sharks
09-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks Ric. Very logical!!!

j fisher
09-14-2005, 06:35 PM
In the lawn care.business and don't know how to deal with a wasp nest? Makes me wonder.

J&R
09-14-2005, 06:40 PM
If you can see the nest. Get a can of spray glue. They wont fly when the glue hits there wings

Ric
09-14-2005, 06:52 PM
If you can see the nest. Get a can of spray glue. They wont fly when the glue hits there wings

J & R

This is one of the most intelligent post I have ever read of on Lawnsite. Why he can even glue the dead leaves back on the plant while he is at it. Maybe he will be lucky enough to have a dust storm while the glue is drying.

Lawn Sharks
09-14-2005, 06:53 PM
In the lawn care.business and don't know how to deal with a wasp nest? Makes me wonder.

Well, my first inclination was to do exactly what Ric suggested as that is what I have done in the past. Thought that asking here might provide some "new and improved" method. Thanks for your concern. You can go back to trolling now.

j fisher
09-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Well, my first inclination was to do exactly what Ric suggested as that is what I have done in the past. Thought that asking here might provide some "new and improved" method. Thanks for your concern. You can go back to trolling now.

Sounds like you already new the answer to your own question then. I'm gone back to trolling now.

GreenUtah
09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
J & R

This is one of the most intelligent post I have ever read of on Lawnsite. Why he can even glue the dead leaves back on the plant while he is at it. Maybe he will be lucky enough to have a dust storm while the glue is drying.

what? no suggesting a flame thrower?...even a stepped down version involving a can of hairspray and a lighter?
Anyway, beyond the obvious of the can of black flag from the grocery store, it is important to know how the pros will deal with the problem and I believe the original post was asking for recomendations to give to the homeowner. Left in the hands of the homeowner to go and get material and apply it in a swarming wasp atmosphere, you may end up with one of those nests that encompasses 500 sq feet that end up making the news of the weird. Left to the homeowner, a phone # is the surest bet.

ArizPestWeed
09-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Douch it with gasoline , lite it and run

Garth
09-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Tetrametrin is the best wasp killer I know of and we have ALOT of wasps in Scotland. Between them and the midges, life is unbearable at certain times of the year. Of course, malathion is a standard as well but it doesn't have the fast knockdown that the pyrethroids have, it just acts longer.

ArizPestWeed
09-16-2005, 12:41 AM
I used tetramethrin last night for the first time , they just drop off , I did not have to run for my life .

malathion does have a quick knock down , but , no lingering effect .
Permethrin EC is no better .
Sc and microcaped and WP's have a much better lingering effect

http://www.pest-weed-free.com/

QualityLawnCare4u
09-16-2005, 01:21 AM
I use malathion, kills the wasp and wont hurt the plant. Last week was doing a shrub trimming and encountered a large nest. I keep a 1 quart spray bottle in the truck. I sprayed those bad boys and watched them fall. It will not kill them as fast as wasp spray but it will knock them out in a couple of minutes and will not burn the plant like wasp spray. I had one client that sprayed a yoplai Holly with wasp spray and she now has a large hole in the middle of the bush.