PDA

View Full Version : Help! dying Lawn St Augustine, heavy grassy weed

cwn97t
09-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi... I am new to this forum. My lawn (St. Augustine) is in very bad condition now. Need some professional help, don't know where to find reliable help and what to do.
I moved in this new house in Dec, I had landscape company came to put on the St Augustine grass. I don't know if they did a good job, there were a lot gaps between the grass patches, the company said it's fine, told me not to worry so I didn't care. But there's Bermuda grass kept growing from the gaps, at first it's about 5% of it... now it became 40% of bermuda, and a lot of "Crab grass?"... I noticed that some part of the lawn turned totally brown couple months ago, like totally dead, my friends told me I had a lot of chinch bugs... so I bought some insect killer to get rid of them... now there's no insects but the grassy weeds just kept growing... it's taking over my st. augustine... (50%) does anyone know what I should do? any good company in houston with reasonable price to fix this? can I fix it myself?

Thanks for your professional opinion in advance.
Jeff

Ric
09-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Jeff

I hate to pat myself on the back. But most of the older member recognize me as the "Guy to go To" about St Augustine Grass.

The Bottom Line is you got ripped off. Bermuda Grass is the Big Problem, it can not be removed selectively from St Augustine. Pro Grass is a herbicide that will suppress Bermuda but does not Control it. Unless you do a total kill to control Bermuda it will come back to get you for many years.

Without going any further into the other issues of your install job, the Bermuda grass is reason enough to contact the installer and demand a redo. But first they must totally Kill the Bermuda and according to Texas A&M and University of Florida it requires 4 treatment spaced two weeks apart of Roundup and Fusilade.

I would do a search at the Texas A&M turf Site as well as the U of Fla site and arm myself with university facts, Before contacting the Builder or contractor. I would stand my ground and simple say, You fix it right or we go to court. These Guy will give you a song and dance to put you over the one year time limit, then leave you high and dry. I have seen it done more than once. Therefore demand a letter of intend signed by the owner of the contacting company.

Green Dreams
09-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Check me out at TexasGreenDreams.com I can help you out if you are in my service area....

quiet
09-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Atrazine will eventually kill the Bermuda, but Atrazine is very persistent in the environment, and ends up in our lakes and streams.

Sounds like the St. Aug is pretty stressed too, and atrazine will only add to the stress. Is the lawn in a sunny area? St. Aug needs a ton of water particularly in sunny areas on sandy soils . . .

We just don't get the rains in TX that Ric gets in FL! And as I recall Houston had a virtually no rain in June.

Ric
09-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Atrazine will eventually kill the Bermuda, but Atrazine is very persistent in the environment, and ends up in our lakes and streams.

Sounds like the St. Aug is pretty stressed too, and atrazine will only add to the stress. Is the lawn in a sunny area? St. Aug needs a ton of water particularly in sunny areas on sandy soils . . .

We just don't get the rains in TX that Ric gets in FL! And as I recall Houston had a virtually no rain in June.

Quiet

I sure would like to know where you are buying your Atrazine from that you are killing Bermuda and not St Augustine. I also would love to see the label on that jug of Atrazine that would allow you to apply that much surface and ground water contamination. Just in case you are unaware, The EPA has taken Atrazine off the Market once before and is about to get it again. They lowered the rate of application about two years ago and it is only labeled for two application a year 6 months apart. Pro Grass and atrazine at old label rates only stunted Bermuda after 3 application 30 days apart.

If you guys in Texas have a way of selectively killing or controlling Bermuda in St Augustine, you need to be beating a path to the patent office because you will be Millionaires. I will be the first in line to buy that herbicide.

quiet
09-15-2005, 12:15 AM
A patent? I think I'm way too late. Scotts runs so may commercials for Bonus S here in TX you'd think they were a used car dealer on late night TV. There was an article in the local paper a few years back that 55% of the lakes and streams in the Austin area had measurable levels of atrazine.

I don't like atrazine. But I've used Bonus S on rare occasions where the St Aug was being beginning to be overrun by common bermuda infestations. That's quite common here where we go long periods without adequate rains, and people don't water the St. Aug adequately.

But I agree with you nonetheless; particularly if his lawn is 50% overrun with Bermuda. He needs to talk to the people that installed the lawn.

Ric
09-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Quiet

Atrazine has some pre-emerge qualities on Bermuda and Crab grass. But as far as post-emerge it is a broad leaf herbicide.

As Far as Scotts goes, They don't even make their own Bonus S fertilizer. Howard's Fertilizer company makes it for them here in the south. They are nothing more than a marketing company much like True Green. The American Public has had so much smoke blown up their butt, that they are used to it. If we would ever have a real truth in advertising law, 90% of the American corporation would be out of business. Believe nothing of what you hear and only Half of what to actually see with your own eyes when it comes to products and advertisement.

Do a search under my name and read some of my posts from about 3 years ago when I actually cared about this forum. Then Maybe you will trust me when I tell you 90% of the price of Scotts Bonus S is for the name and 10% is for the actual product in the bag.

cwn97t
09-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Guys... Thank you so much for the professional opinion. I will contact the contractor who did the job for me first...my bet is that they will not help me without me paying again. My wife would kill me if I don't get it fixed... How much should I expect to get this clean by professional by the way?

Thanks,
Jeff

Garth
09-15-2005, 12:32 PM
The company that buggered you should pick up the cost. Take pictures, they hold up better in court. Ric is right. The Cynodon dactylon should have been snuffed before the St. Augustine was installed. Roundup does a great job, solarization works well too. The point is if you hired a professional, you should get a professional job, if you hired a LCO (lawn care operator) who lives in his truck and smells of urine, cigarettes and cabbage, the job will reflect this same quality. Buyer beware.

cwn97t
09-15-2005, 12:58 PM
It is a professional landscape company that do the contracts with my home builder. The builder referred them to me... they did a very good job in the front yard (since it's included in the home price). I am just afraid that since it's been 9 month already, they will say I didn't take care of my lawn properly... what should I say when I call them to get them to admit it's their fault? I have no knowledge in this business... I don't mind to pay some money.

The company that buggered you should pick up the cost. Take pictures, they hold up better in court. Ric is right. The Cynodon dactylon should have been snuffed before the St. Augustine was installed. Roundup does a great job, solarization works well too. The point is if you hired a professional, you should get a professional job, if you hired a LCO (lawn care operator) who lives in his truck and smells of urine, cigarettes and cabbage, the job will reflect this same quality. Buyer beware.

Ric
09-15-2005, 02:04 PM
It is a professional landscape company that do the contracts with my home builder. The builder referred them to me... they did a very good job in the front yard (since it's included in the home price). I am just afraid that since it's been 9 month already, they will say I didn't take care of my lawn properly... what should I say when I call them to get them to admit it's their fault? I have no knowledge in this business... I don't mind to pay some money.

CWN

We can tell you how to fight the battle, but we can't fight your battles for you. Pictures are good for sure and I already told you do a search at the Texas A&M website. It is like playing poker, stand your ground you have good cards and they can only bluff if you let them. Contact the man that took your money, let him know you want a new lawn and will take him to court if he doesn't comply. Most Judges will rule for the homeowner if the right documentation is supplied.

cwn97t
09-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks Ric. Will definely gather all the receipts & take some pictures. Will let you know how it goes!