PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone do KwikKurb or Curb Appeal?

DavesLawnCarePlus
09-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone on here do KwikKurb or Curb Appeal installations? I am looking at getting into that line of work and wanted to talk to someone already in the business. Get a feel for it. See which is better and why. Anyhow, I'd appreciate your thoughts, and comments.

Dave

kris
09-14-2005, 08:27 PM
No, we used it once this year(hired a sub) and never again!

Guthrie&Co
09-14-2005, 08:55 PM
fill me in on the details, this is the first i have heard of it

kris
09-14-2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.curbmachines.com/

DavesLawnCarePlus
09-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Kris.

You stated that you used them once as a sub and will not do that again. I'm curious if it was a problem with the product or the installer. I'm seriously considering purchasing a kwik kerb operation and would appreciate your response. As far as I can tell, the product is solid and well researched so I would have to assume that your problems came from the installer. In any case, I'd be very interested to hear from you. Thanks for your help.

Dave

kris
09-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Ok fair enough .... it was a combination of both. First the contractor did not follow the painted lines and did his own bunch of "cutsie" curves that so many of these operators are known for. That resulted of having him back and ripping half of it out to do again.

If you look at the web site you see how it slopes up from the lawn ..well good place to trap water all over. I suppose we could have left breaks for the water to drain but to tell you the truth it didnt even cross my mind.

It cracked all over.... he fixed this by running my stone saw through the cracks to look like joints.... easy enough but I had no idea so the customer saw this before he came out to do it...if I had known I would have done it.

It was put on zero base.

When we went to finish with rock mulch after, we scratched and chipped a bunch of it ... ya , you will say be careful...we were... when you are putting in 60 ton of rock s#it happens...step on the smallest stone and you scratch it.

Over all I just found it a cheap product that isn't up to our high standard.

If a customer ever insisted again I would tell them to hire them directly.

DavesLawnCarePlus
09-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Kris,

Thanks for your help. From what I know, they recommend slicing the concrete every 3 feet or so... I've been chatting with a kwikkurb guy not too far from me, and plan on going to see some of his work this week. I think this is a installation issue. Slurry dries very hard, so I dunno why it'd scratch and such but I will take your word and assume the installer screwed up. Not too unusual from what I've heard so far.I guess some installers have never even landscaped before, not to mention mixing concrete. If I do start doing these curbs, I will use a plate tamper to install atleast some kind of a base, so there is less chance of heaving and cracking. I'm really just trying to get everything lined up right so I know what I'm getting into. What kind of rate did he sub for, and what province?

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Dave

RedWolf
09-19-2005, 01:27 AM
i have a older curber.what i do is when i mix a batch i throw in a bag of fibermesh.all fibermesh is is ground up fiberglass and when you mix it with the concrete it makes it ten times stronger.you also have to let the curb set up for a week or to so you wont fu** it up.i mix my concrete kind of wet so after a week its hard as a rock.i did some curbing for my mother and father about 4 years ago and it still looks new even when my father backs over it LOL.you also have to have a good base.i like to use limerock and then tamp it down.limerock makes a good base and as for control joints i cut them every 3 foot depending on how far im going.and always follow the lines and dont do to many bents.its a pain in the a** and takes up to much time and it also makes you look bad when you dont follow the outline.so just remember put down a good base and use fibermesh and it will last a long time.

bobbygedd
09-19-2005, 09:47 AM
i know a guy in the kwikerb business. he sunk like a rock

DavesLawnCarePlus
09-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for your constructive input. I feel honored to have had Bobby G respond to one of my posts. Even if it wasn't exactly constructive... I've been researching and working on the marketing plan and I'm going to florida to spend a day with a guy doing it down there, to check it out. Thanks for the advice on fibremesh... I've been told it's a great idea by others as well.

Thanks,

Dave

Bobby G. - thanks for your input. I don't think that it's a defective product that sank the guy you're speaking of, most likely a defective salesman.. you'd know all about that now, wouldn't ya? Take it easy.

bobbygedd
09-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for your constructive input. I feel honored to have had Bobby G respond to one of my posts. Even if it wasn't exactly constructive... I've been researching and working on the marketing plan and I'm going to florida to spend a day with a guy doing it down there, to check it out. Thanks for the advice on fibremesh... I've been told it's a great idea by others as well.

Thanks,

Dave

Bobby G. - thanks for your input. I don't think that it's a defective product that sank the guy you're speaking of, most likely a defective salesman.. you'd know all about that now, wouldn't ya? Take it easy.
you can be a wiseguy, or you can further ask exactly what it is about the product that made him sink

Runner
09-20-2005, 04:41 PM
You want to know the secret?
These are NOT designed for use in COLD WEATHER CLIMATES. Anywhere that the ground feezes, it heaves. In these areas, this is not even a viable service.

DavesLawnCarePlus
09-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Okay Bobby... I was simply making fun because of all the posts you have. It was sorta like having a lawnsite celebrity respond to my little post. I apologize if I said something wrong. Please let me know why the guy sunk like a rock. If it's a problem with the product I am very interested. I don't want to put my name on something that won't last.

Thanks.
Dave

bobbygedd
09-21-2005, 06:31 PM
too late dave, too late.

RedWolf
09-21-2005, 08:40 PM
hey dave what part of florida is your friend in

DavesLawnCarePlus
09-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Hi there...

I don't actually know anyone down there, I'm all the way up in Canada. But the salesman from kwikkerb says that they have a ton of operators down there that he can set me up with to see how the operation works. I work for an airline as well, so the ticket won't be a problem if it gets me some first hand experience with the gear and the business.

Thanks,
Dave