PDA

View Full Version : What size enclosed trailer?

Victor
09-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Hey guys. I'm going to buy an encloseed trailer (next spring) to do my apps out of. Since I don't plan on shoving a spreader around customer's lawns for much longer, I might as well get a trailer with enough room for a Z-Spray. I thought about getting a Perma Green, but I really doubt I'd get one over a Z. Besides having room for the Z, I'd also like to get a trailer with enough room that I could load a pallet of fert, through the side door in front of the axles.

That brings up another question. Do you guys think that would be too much tongue weight on my hitch? I'm not worried about my truck. It's an F-250 (Powerstroke) Superduty (with air bags on the rear axle).

I thought about going with a 6 foot, or 7 foot by 12, or 14. That way, I'd have at least some storage room after the machine and pallet are loaded. I'm open to any and all ideas though. Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Vic

jajwrigh
09-14-2005, 08:18 PM
If I were in your shoes I would go with the 14'. It gives you plenty of room to grow. Remember its always better to have too much space, but sucks when you don't have enough!

GreenUtah
09-15-2005, 10:37 AM
How the fert sits in the trailer depends on the wheel position and counterweighting of the trailer itself. Most enclosed trailers do not have a door wide enough on the sides to accomodate pallet loading with a forklift,so you will need to have that custom done as well. As far as tongue weight goes, the category(I-V) hitch you have, ball and insert will determine that weight, but that should not be of major concern if your trailer is set up to properly distribute the weight over it's axles. Who'd want to try and jack/position an unbalanced trailer with one or two tons inside during hookups?

Green Pastures
09-15-2005, 03:38 PM
I've never looked behind me and thought........"darn I wish I would have got a smaller trailer".

I have an 8' x 20' now.

Itsgottobegreen
09-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Enclosed trailers are the worse with space. Everytime you buy a bigger one. You are like damn it! Its still not big enough. I got a 7 by 16' now. (was pulling it with my F-150 with sway bars) But will be up grading to a 8 by 20' in the spring. But now thinking about a 8 by 24'.

Defendly look at wells cargo. They are the best of the best. Plus will custom build you anything you want. Usually a 1 month turn around for custom orders.

Tscape
09-15-2005, 11:13 PM
I have a 7x14 and it is tight with anything over 50 bags up front (loaded via side door) the push spreader and the Z right inside the rear ramp door.

LwnmwrMan22
09-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Enclosed trailers are the worse with space. Everytime you buy a bigger one. You are like damn it! Its still not big enough. I got a 7 by 16' now. (was pulling it with my F-150 with sway bars) But will be up grading to a 8 by 20' in the spring. But now thinking about a 8 by 24'.

Defendly look at wells cargo. They are the best of the best. Plus will custom build you anything you want. Usually a 1 month turn around for custom orders.

I would disagree with the 1 month turn around time. I've never had it less than 2 - 3 months for turn around time.

I've always searched and searched for a trailer until I found one on a lot.

The one I'm running now is an 8.5' x 24' V-Nose Featherlite, all aluminum. I run my PG Ultra out the V-Nose in the front, and then have room for the mowers out the rear.

Something you might want to look at is running a V-Nose, so you can run your spreader out the door off the front, but then just have regular swing doors in the back and load the fertilizer in the rear, this way they can slide 2 pallets of fertilizer in at a time.

Also, most manufacturers will run you a 60" curbside door if you'd like, but it'll be custom order.

Ric
09-16-2005, 02:57 AM
Darn I wished I had a SMALLER trailer. all I need is is a 7 x 12 single axle with electric brakes. I hate the Fact that the smallest trailer I have is 7 X 18. Man I wished I had bough a cheaper trailer because Fertilizer eats up a good just as fast as a cheap one.

The above is Tongue in Cheek but real at the same time. The size trail depends on business model and your needs. If you are just Fert & Squirt then why drag around more than you need and waste gas and tires????? Why Buy the best trailer if you know fertilizer will rust it away as fast as a cheaper one. A single axle trailer is much easier on tires.

I really hate these common sense questions because no one but the person asking it can really answer it. They are the one who knows there planned usage and planned expansion.