PDA

View Full Version : FREE STUFF???

John Deere
03-15-2001, 09:57 PM
Hey Landscape contractors and owners. I was just wondering how many of you recieve free stuff from your dealers.
Do you get free equipment or at least a free demo or do you maybe just get free vacations, dinners, coats or sweathshirts or stuff like that.

I really want to know because I recently have talked to two contractors and one is a lawn sprinkler contractor for Toro and they gave him a free trip to Hawaii and another contractor I just talked to just got a free Red Max trimmer. I can't tell you how much money I have spent in the past 3 years and haven't really gotten anything free except lots of debt and a few headaches along the way.

BIG D
03-15-2001, 10:29 PM
I am a large dealer and we have given away several items such as hats and stuff never trips. I dont know how these dealers do it but I see that many (not in our area) do it. I repay my clients with hard work and free loaners if their stuff breaks down. I would guess if they are making that much margin on equipment that they can send you to Hawaii, then you were charged too much for the equipment in the first place. Its a good post, it would be interesting to see what people got, but what they had to give up for it.

Randy Scott
03-16-2001, 12:20 AM
People really like to BS is what it is about. Like BIG D said, who knows what they paid for the equipment in the first place. Everybody under the sun likes to tell you what THEY got from their dealer and so on. You never know the truth and really never will. If you are happy with your deals and prices and are taken care of, that is all that matters. People like to tell you that " They could have gotten a better deal" all the time no matter what you buy. Screw umm! Worry about yourself. :) When it is all said and done, nothing in life is free!

John Deere
03-17-2001, 12:12 AM
WOW! That's not really what I was asking, but thanks. Anyways, is there anyone else that has recieved any free items or at least was allowed to try out equipment for a while. I guess the main reason I'm asking is to see how my dealers measure up in service compared to the people you all deal with.

Randy Scott
03-17-2001, 01:03 AM
Sorry John Deere, now that another day has passed, my response was pretty harsh, hey? Must have been my mood. My dealer has been fair to me but I think it is hard to compare stuff like that. Each situation is so different. When I bought my equipment it was all at once. Almost twenty thousand worth. He was fair I think on prices of all the products and that was all I was after. I can't say I really got anything free. I was happy with my deal and I know he will certainly take care of me when I need his help and that is enough for me! Last fall he had a "demo days" of all his lines of equipment and he served steak sandwiches and soda for everyone. His wife cooked them on the grille and that was pretty cool I thought. Now at the end of this month he is having spring open house and more steak sandwiches and he is giving away a EB 6200 blower in a free raffle. He is really out to help the guys in the industry! That's better than going to Hawaii if you ask me. The more he helps me I in return will help him. Then we both make money. Then I'll worry about where I go on vacation! :)