PDA

View Full Version : Renovating a very mossy yard.

LB Landscaping
09-14-2005, 08:42 PM
We will be renovating a lawn that has alot of moss and I mean alot, its 3 inches thick in places. The customer has had the trees around pruned to allow more airflow/light into the lawn. Soli test was done and it needs alot of lime. Anyway I plan on scraping off all of the moss and top layer of soil. Then tilling up the soil adding new loam tilling again and adding the appropriate amount of lime, preping the soil for seed, then seeding. Would you approach this any differently??

muddstopper
09-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Since you have improved the amount of sunlite available your plan sounds reasonable. Add the full soil test recommendation for lime and till into the soil at least 6 inches deep, you might also consider applying the fertilizer before tilling, this will trap the nitrogen into the soil and help prevent it from gassing off. also make sure the ground is sloped properly for good drainage. If you are worried about the moss coming back you might apply a little Iron to the area. Moss needs three things to thrive, shade, poor soil and moisture, eliminate two and moss will die. Sound like you have or will be taking care of all three.

LB Landscaping
09-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks Muddstoper. The ground has a good natural slope. The guy had Tru-Green treating his lawn (talked him out of that one) and they really screwed it up. What would you put for fert???

Coffeecraver
09-16-2005, 04:09 AM
Watch that rototiller with those tree roots

Most tree roots are in the top 6"-18" of the soil and extend out beyond the canopy (dripline). Construction within the root zone can seriously damage your trees. Trees that suffer severe root damage may not show symptoms for several years.

Avoid grade changes in the root zone. Adding or removing just a few inches of soil can make a big difference in the amount of oxygen, water and minerals available to the roots.

Try to avoid using a rototiller within the dripline.

LB Landscaping
09-16-2005, 07:13 AM
Good point. There are alot of shallow roots where there is no soil around the base of the tree. He wants a skim coat of loam to cover the roots that are exposed. I only plan on tilling the area away from the trees and just roughing up the soil in the section where the tree's are.