PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used a deuce for their truck?

Lawn Masters
09-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Just curious, cause I thought about an M35 today, and realised how versitile they can be, put a dump bed insert on it, keep the stakesides, and fab up a removable ramp setup for the mowers, you've got a truck and trailer all in one for everything. I would think this would work well, and stand out in a major way.

anyway, anyone ever use an M35 6x6 truck for lawn work? if you did, not likely that anyone has, but if so, please tell me how it turned out.

Gravel Rat
09-15-2005, 02:56 AM
I would think those trucks are a little old and slow plus they really can't carry that much stick with newer trucks. I know one guy on this stretch of coast has a old ex miltary truck it does have tandem axles he completely revamped the truck. He changed the engine to a L-10 Cummins and changed the gearing etc modified the brakes to make the truck more road worthy.

Mowingman
09-15-2005, 07:58 AM
I know a lot of guys who own and restore them. you would not want one for everyday use, if you expected to make money with it. They are all old, hard to get parts for without a long wait, plagued with little problems that make them undependable, and not economical to run at all.
Parts are available, but only at a few specialty places, I can think of only 3 or 4 good suppliers in the country. how much time can you devote to keeping it on the road?

Lawn Masters
09-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Thats what I suspected. I just needed confirmation that it wasnt worth it to try.

Smalltimer1
09-16-2005, 07:19 PM
I know a lot of guys who own and restore them. you would not want one for everyday use, if you expected to make money with it. They are all old, hard to get parts for without a long wait, plagued with little problems that make them undependable, and not economical to run at all.
Parts are available, but only at a few specialty places, I can think of only 3 or 4 good suppliers in the country. how much time can you devote to keeping it on the road?

These guys help keep these trucks on the road for work, play, and show.

http://www.whiteowl.com/

They are about a 2 hour trip from here, its a very interesting place.

sildoc
09-16-2005, 08:15 PM
All of the above and the fact that you might get 6MPG. Have you ever riden in one? Bumpy, Slow, Hard to turn and just plain awkward to use.

BZB_Helpers
09-16-2005, 11:19 PM
i believe you can achieve 10 mpg if you only run one drive axle. of course they have a bumpy ride, ride quality was not a requirement to the us government when it was designed and its a 2.5 ton truck anyway. They are hard to turn because of no power steering. i believe the top speed is either 55 or 60mph. if you get it, you will need a muffler or your clients/entire street will know your coming. Get one with a turbo and an air shift transfer case then convert to single rear wheels and drop the NDT tires for something with more traction in the rain and snow.

Lawn Masters
09-17-2005, 02:26 AM
The top speed is EXACTLY 55mph with these trucks, which isnt exactly a thrilling idea. though I could always simply swap out the engine/tranny for something more powerful and fuel efficient too. I HATE the NDT tires. from what I've heard, NDT stands for Non Directional Travel. I prefer something better looking with better traction.

BZB_Helpers
09-17-2005, 08:14 AM
i believe the tranny already has a .85ish overdrive ratio and with only one gear ratio available for the rockwells, 6.72, the only other way to increase top speed is to increase tire size.

Lawn Masters
09-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Well, I would be going with a Deuce, but I found a CUCV that looks pretty good, and is a basic chevy blazer with military paint, and a VERY basic interior. otherwise, the same exact truck, so parts are readily interchangable between em if something breaks.

Ironmower
09-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Well, I would be going with a Deuce, but I found a CUCV that looks pretty good, and is a basic chevy blazer with military paint, and a VERY basic interior. otherwise, the same exact truck, so parts are readily interchangable between em if something breaks.

Have a good mechanic look over the 6.2 in that Blazer--6.2's do funny things, especially with starters, glow plugs and injectors.

Lawn Masters
09-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Have a good mechanic look over the 6.2 in that Blazer--6.2's do funny things, especially with starters, glow plugs and injectors.
This is probably true, but the one I'm looking at has a 350 gas engine, with 6000 miles on it since a rebuild.

Ironmower
09-18-2005, 08:17 PM
This is probably true, but the one I'm looking at has a 350 gas engine, with 6000 miles on it since a rebuild.

Oh--didn't realize it was gas. The ones the Va. National Guard uses are 3/4 ton models with 6.2 diesels in them.

Lawn Masters
09-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Oh--didn't realize it was gas. The ones the Va. National Guard uses are 3/4 ton models with 6.2 diesels in them.
This is not an original engine I dont think. still a good one, but not original.