PDA

View Full Version : Drainage

Shawn260
09-15-2005, 07:51 PM
We built a paver block retaining wall about 40' long 4' high sloping down to ground level about three months ago. The problem is now after turning on the irrigation the wall will start to leak out water not long after. When installing the wall I walked in all back filled dirt with my tractor, but as I seid evidently there must be some drain tunnels that have evollved over a short time. He also not only has irrigation on the plant material that we installed but soaker hose to. Any suggestions on how to remidy this situation would be appretiated.

mbella
09-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Assuming the water is seeping out, that's a good thing. That means there's less hydrostatic pressure on the wall than if it didn't seep.

Shawn260
09-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Its a little more consistent than a seep. It dose not pour out but noticeable right after the irrigation is turned on, you can see the water leak out.

mbella
09-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Do you have a pic?

kris
09-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Shawn ...did you back fill with some clear stone and weeping tile? If so , does the weeping tile daylight somewhere?

Shawn260
09-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes, I have several pictures I took of it when we were done but I am not computer savy enough to get them from my phone to the web but I will work on that dilemma. And no I did not use drainage tile as I wanted the wall to be able to "slowly release water" I am hoping to remedy this situation with out having a major ordeal, but will do what ever needs to be done.

mbella
09-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Shawn, work on posting the pics and hopefully we can help you.

Dirty Water
09-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Did you by any chance damage the irrigation system when you excavated for the wall?

You shouldn't see drainage like that unless the system had ran long enough to totally saturate the yard.

Is the soil a heavy clay?

sheshovel
09-17-2005, 02:47 PM
First thing I would do is cut down the water,no need for a soaker hose and irrigation(sprinklers?)too.As above need pics.I think you have to get a plug-in adapter for your phone then plug it in like you would your camera and your software should detect it and ask you if you want to download your pics.Be sure the phone is on the setting you use to view your pics.

Dirty Water
09-17-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm thinking he meant sprinklers for the yard, and drip for the landscape, I've never seen drip and mist heads together on a landscape.

I think the main issue is that draintile and rock were not put down behind the wall...and overwatering/irrigation damage, are letting you see that.

Shawn260
09-18-2005, 04:13 PM
I believe what happened is when we back filled with topsoil and walked it in with the tractor, about a month or so latter he saw the Saucer Magnolia we planted start losing leaves. He had mist heads on the area running daily, I believe the tree may have just went into shock but anyway that is evidently when he went out and bought soaker hose and wrapped it around all the plant material. So at that point he had irrigation and soaker hose running daily. When he called me and I went out there I raked back some of the mulch near the Magnolia tree and seen a 2 baseball size holes near it so I filled them in and told him to lay off the some of the water. But I am concerned about a down pour as we have had a drought in our region and have had no rain to speak of since he made me aware of this problem. I will work on getting some pictures Monday. Thank you all very much for the help and support so far. Shawn

UNISCAPER
09-19-2005, 11:09 AM
By installing a segmental wall, and having irrigation on top, the water is doing exactly what it supposed to be doing. We have on with the same thing going on and all we did was install a brass catch basin, run a pipe under the pavers, and core drill a hole through the face of the front wall to get the water out and away so it runs down their 2-1 slope. If they did not want water leaking they should have gone with a CMU wall and connected the pipe into some other source of drain.

The only other thing you can try is to take a rubber liner and fit it behind the wall, and at the same time connect a drain pipe (4" SDR-35) behind the rubbber and into the washed gravel. Then connect that to underground drains.

The unfortuate part of all that is, in order to install it you have to disassemble the wall.