PDA

View Full Version : Funny things homeowners do with hardscape materials

mbella
09-16-2005, 05:22 PM
This is a patio we installed earlier in the year. It is kind of boring, but nice (we had nothing to do with the lights.) Anyway, today, I went back to look at some other work the customer wants us to do and I found out why he wanted us to leave the leftover block and pavers.

So, I thought I'd take a few pics and have some fun with it. We installed the patio. The homeowner installed the edging around the landscape bed, the "wall" around the pond and whatever you call it around the mailbox.

Post pics of "funny hardscapes" if you have them.

mbella
09-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Here are the "homeowner specials" at the same house.

John Gamba
09-16-2005, 05:26 PM
At least i tried :realmad:

olderthandirt
09-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Mike great thread, I need to remember the camera next time out. I know of a few home owners and 1 lco that makes that home owner look like an genius and a master builder :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MarcusLndscp
09-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Wow Mike, those are nice pics! :p Don't you hate when people do that. They don't realize it but it really makes a negative impact on the property as a whole when they do that. It's like my girlfriends father, he's sees all this work I do and wants it at his house but doesn't want to put the full effort into doing it 100% correct. It drives me nuts. Someday maybe I'll learn to say no to him.

mbella
09-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Did you guys notice the stack of pavers to the left of the patio in the first pic of the patio? That's more ammunition for the homeowner. We are going back in about a month to do some more work and I can't wait to see what he has created with those.

mbella
09-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Mark, here's another pic of what I found on the patio. It's a freaking ashtray/trash can that you find outside the mall or somewhere.

The good news with this one, we sold him a complete softscape for around the patio. I love it when we get to do the softscape around one of our hardscapes.

GreenMonster
09-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Funny stuff, Mike.

We had a guy early this year that took some leftover pavers, and stacked them SRW style along the edge of a bed :dizzy:

Then, he went to Home Cheapo, got some cobblestones, and ran them along the end of the wall another 10-15', kinda extending the wall one course. Why not just have us build a longer wall. Then, he ruined the whole bloody job with red mulch anyhow :rolleyes:

Then, complains about some of my gaps in the stairs where the caps meet the wall stone. :angry:

kris
09-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Amazing isnt it ....even had a great example of how things should look and that is the best they could do. :dizzy:

mbella
09-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Kris, that's why I posted the pics. To show that there was a nice hardscape on the property to compare to, but it didn't make a difference.

kris
09-16-2005, 09:34 PM
that one pic looks like it is right out front between sidewalk and street? :help:

mbella
09-16-2005, 09:47 PM
that one pic looks like it is right out front between sidewalk and street? :help:

You are correct. It is around the mailbox, which is in the curbstrip.

Edgewater
09-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Its amazing that someone that would hire a contractor that does your quality of work, would want something like that on thier property.

Around here, if someone pays $$$ for a hardscape, they would treat leaft over paver like the plague and banish than to some far corner of the garden shed, full of tools that they don't know how to use. :rolleyes:

cgland
09-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Mike - Quit fishing for compliments. You know YOU installed all of that stuff. I didn't know you did water features! :p

Chris

mbella
09-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Mike - Quit fishing for compliments. You know YOU installed all of that stuff. I didn't know you did water features! :p

Chris

Damn, I knew this wouldn't get by you. Hey, if you don't have any pics of funny homeowner projects, just post some of yours. What's the difference? :p

Seriously, getting much sleep lately?

Guthrie&Co
09-16-2005, 11:30 PM
mbella,
how did you learn to do that kind of work? and where is the best place for me to start. i have a little experince building small retaining walls but nothing of that size. so what does it take and where do i turn to?

Jason Rose
09-17-2005, 12:03 AM
I wasn't even going to make a post but I was still laughing hysterically at those "works of art" ;) by the time I had scrolled all the way down! :D Sad thing is, I see that kinda stuff every day... It's amazing how little time and effort people can put into things!

My camera phone Is going to get a work out this next week. I will try to post some of the atrocities I see around here :alien: :eek: .

MarcusLndscp
09-17-2005, 11:19 AM
I love the trash can/ash tray thing....all they need now is a little hoochie standing next to it smokin her butts. Maybe they should put some of those kiddie rides on the patio that you see at the malls too. You know the ones that cost like 50 cents and when you walk by them your kids go crazy wanting to ride them. Of course they put them at the junctions that you have to walk through no matter where you're going. Maybe when you go back for further work you can mysteriously make some of their work disappear or get hit with your equipment. Your work looks great as always.

Boy, you and CGLand are brutal to eachother. Atleast you guys do your own work....we all now know that GreenMonster subs out his work to some LawnSite member and then he takes all the credit for it!!! Unbelievable that guy! :D

mbella
09-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Yeah, that other lawnsite member does nice work, whomever he is. ;)

freddyc
09-17-2005, 09:11 PM
in the second homeowner pic... is that a gravestone on the left side??????? It appears to have writing on it. ;)

GreenMonster
09-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Boy, you and CGLand are brutal to eachother. Atleast you guys do your own work....we all now know that GreenMonster subs out his work to some LawnSite member and then he takes all the credit for it!!! Unbelievable that guy! :D

Hey, my sub let me do some of the natural stone work. I did almost ALL of the backside of the wall, then he went and backfilled it cuz he was jealous :realmad:

BTW Mark, when the hell do you think was the last time MBella picked up an Estwing? My guess is within the past two weeks, to crack one of his guys over the head.

mbella
09-17-2005, 11:28 PM
BTW Mark, when the hell do you think was the last time MBella picked up an Estwing? My guess is within the past two weeks, to crack one of his guys over the head.

Mark, no need to crack my guys over the head. Most days, I wish I was swinging an Estwing.

DVS Hardscaper
09-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Gotta love the homeowner mentality!

After such a nice, professional job is done, I don't see how anyone could even consider attempting to do such a thing!

Which is the primary reason why we do all we can to haul any left over hardscape materials away from the premises! There have been countless times we do a nice project and I return to shoot pictures and find the same scenerios. And then not be able to take any pictures. Very disappointing.

Most of our clients are not home when we're working at their properties, so as soon as we're finished with using pavers or wall block....the leftovers get loaded on the truck before the homeowner has an opportunity to ask that we leave them.

In essense it costs us money to haul and store left overs....but it keeps our clients from doing 'Their Own Gigs'!

mbella
09-18-2005, 12:20 AM
There should be a section of the ICPI that goes as follows:

Don't let this (see pic)

mbella
09-18-2005, 12:26 AM
become this

mbella
09-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Please remove all extra pavers and cut pieces from the jobsite.

MarcusLndscp
09-18-2005, 09:39 AM
I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to bust you on that one Mark.....in fact I believe I owed you one! How's it going anyhow?

GreenMonster
09-18-2005, 11:24 AM
I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to bust you on that one Mark.....in fact I believe I owed you one! How's it going anyhow?

oh damn, you mean we're even now? ;)

Mike, those pics are horrifying

cgland
09-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Hey Mike - At least he put fabric down! :rolleyes: And by the way, I had to read alot of Black & Decker DIY books to get where I am! And I'll thank you not to make fun of me!

Chris

mbella
09-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Hey Mike - At least he put fabric down! :rolleyes: And by the way, I had to read alot of Black & Decker DIY books to get where I am! And I'll thank you not to make fun of me!

Chris

Is that fabric? I thought it was some type of geogrid :)

sheshovel
09-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Looks like tar paper to me!I just cannot believe people who spend big bucks on a home,a beautiful patio ect and then do stuff like that.
He must have watched you and thought WOW He could do that!!
I have to say in a situation like that,I would definitely call out the homeowner,point at the thing around the mailbox and say right to his face"What the heck is this? ;)
"What were you thinking when you did this?"
"Do you know just how tacky this makes your property look?
"Do you want us to do a little edge around this?
"This area is very visual you know and do you realize you are devaluing your home with work like this?".....one or two or all of the above statements
Yes ,I absolutely would call him on it! :p

MarcSmith
09-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Is it just me, or does the mailbox post look crooked too...Nice patio and nice wall...

I guess tho the customer did pay for the product...though

LHlandscaping
09-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Seems like the homeowner wasn't paying any attention to the way you did things. To each their own, I guess. I just did a walkway last week and the same question came up. What to do with left over paver wall thingies. WHAT? I believe the correct nomenclature is either paving stone or wall stone. I hate when people call wall stone paver wall, or call paving stone a brick or any other name for that matter. Needeless to say I crushed her ambitions of making any octo-decor retaining walls in this lifetime.

BTW, beautiful work with the Country Manor. I love that stone. Is your distributor Lockrete Bauer?

LHlandscaping
09-26-2005, 01:33 PM
And another thing. When you bid a job with Sff of sf any leftover product belongs to YOU the contractor NOT the homeowner. I will sell them any scrap if they so desire.

mbella
09-26-2005, 01:47 PM
LH, it is actually EP Henry Coventry Wall. The retaining portion is Coventry Wall Plus and the free standing portion is doublesided 6".

DVS Hardscaper
09-26-2005, 08:02 PM
And another thing. When you bid a job with Sff of sf any leftover product belongs to YOU the contractor NOT the homeowner. I will sell them any scrap if they so desire.

I have to disagree with that statement :)

The qty of materials, along with a waste factor, is typically accounted for when a competent contractor prices the job.

I go one step further. I do not itemize material costs, but I do list the allowances for materials, and if I state that they're paying for 500 SF of Holland Stone, then its theirs!

Here is an excert from our proposal:
The Agreement Amount stated above is based on supplying and installing the following materials, any additional materials needed will involve additional costs to client over and above the amount listed above: 562.3 SF Victorian pavers, 19 tons of aggregate, 16.8 SF Calistro wall block, and 10 Calistro wall caps. Necessary quantities of sand, 10” spikes, paver restraint, adhesive, drain tubing and geo-textile are included. No credits are given for left over material. Contractor MUST order additional material than actually needed to compensate for “waste factor.”

MarcSmith
09-27-2005, 07:55 AM
I could understand taking the materials back to the shop if is al ot, or you are installing a bunch of patio or walls with that same product. But when you order the same product at two different points in time you get into differrent variations of the same color, which may be noticed. At which point your yard becomes a hodgepodge of small quantities of pavers.

sheshovel
09-29-2005, 02:19 PM
I agree they paid for it and it's not used then I leave it

Drafto
04-19-2006, 10:41 PM
What to do think of this one?

Drafto
04-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Whats that you can't see what I am talking about? Okay, I'll zoom in:

Drafto
04-19-2006, 10:46 PM
The homeowners changed some stuff on the project and we had a pallet of left over pavers that they paid for, they wanted to keep them instead of returning them.

WOW!

This monstrasity goes 25' down the other walk and is glued in place. I asked him if he could put a tag on it that has his name. Hey.....to each his own, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, they think they will make great planter boxes.

Dan

Dreams To Designs
04-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Dan,

That is beyond hideous. That's why you should never leave product for homeowners to play with. They always seem to get themselves into trouble.

Kirk