PDA

View Full Version : bamboo

twindiddy
09-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Have a customer that wants about 100 bamboo shoots removed from his property. He's cheap, so I'm sure he doesn't want to pay to ensure they don't come back. Like digging up the roots and such. This bamboo is 30 to 40 feet high and I'm sure it's worth something. I've called a few landscape supply places and none of them are interested. A quick web search has led to a few places in the area that deal with bamboo. Haven't called them, yet. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Besides eBay?

Up North
09-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Have a customer that wants about 100 bamboo shoots removed from his property. He's cheap, so I'm sure he doesn't want to pay to ensure they don't come back. Like digging up the roots and such. This bamboo is 30 to 40 feet high and I'm sure it's worth something. I've called a few landscape supply places and none of them are interested. A quick web search has led to a few places in the area that deal with bamboo. Haven't called them, yet. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Besides eBay?

Make some fishing poles???!!!

Buck

GreenUtah
09-16-2005, 05:25 PM
call hardwood flooring guys and a local saw mill, if there is one there. Bamboo flooring is becoming VERY popular.

twindiddy
09-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Make some fishing poles???!!!

Buck

I forgot to mention these were 5" in diameter. I'm gonna try to get some pictures today.

Up North
09-17-2005, 10:00 AM
I forgot to mention these were 5" in diameter. I'm gonna try to get some pictures today.

Wow! Could probably haul in some sharks with those babies. :D

We don't get much for bamboo up in the north country but I do have one prop that has some sort of man eating bamboo tree. The thing grows like crazy and is a pain in the butt to cut and trim around, can't believe it evens grows up here.

Buck

twindiddy
09-17-2005, 10:49 PM
here's some pictures of the bamboo.

twindiddy
09-17-2005, 10:57 PM
more pictures!!!

twindiddy
09-17-2005, 11:01 PM
more pictures!!!

twindiddy
09-17-2005, 11:03 PM
pictures, pictures, pictures

twindiddy
09-17-2005, 11:06 PM
more pictures!!!

Jason Rose
09-17-2005, 11:21 PM
ok ok, it's bamboo, we got it! LOL!

I have a customer here, yes in kansas, with bamboo in the landscape. It's a royal PITA to keep it from hanging over the sidewalk. Grows like fire! Only reaches maybe 15 feet in height here max. When I cut it down last fall I was wondering the same thing... Is there any market value to this stuff?? Even tho it wasn't huge like the florida bamboo, it was still big enough for crafts, fishing poles and what-not. It all ended up in the burn pit with the rest of the brush. Seemed a waste, but I think bamboo is really a weed in places?

QualityLawnCare4u
09-18-2005, 02:18 AM
Dang twindiddy, where are you at? The Amazon? That is some healthy bamboo. I have cut down a minimal amount of it but none as big as you have there. I never could completely get rid of it, kept coming back like a bad weed. If you tackle this hope you get $$$$ to make it worthwhile. I dont even know what I would quote on that but it would not be cheap. Folks here would expect you to do that for a 100 or less :D

twindiddy
09-18-2005, 04:33 AM
Dang twindiddy, where are you at? The Amazon? That is some healthy bamboo. I have cut down a minimal amount of it but none as big as you have there. I never could completely get rid of it, kept coming back like a bad weed. If you tackle this hope you get $$$$ to make it worthwhile. I dont even know what I would quote on that but it would not be cheap. Folks here would expect you to do that for a 100 or less :D

Right now I can't make up my mind between $937 (15 min/tree) or $750 (10 min/tree). I think they are both real low, but he's cheap. I want the job.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-18-2005, 09:47 AM
I would go for the high quote because on jobs like this it always takes longer than what you think it will. If I quoted someone here 750 for that job I would have to call 911 when they gasped and fell over from shock! Thats why I don't do these kinds of jobs anymore. Don't sale yourself short on this, if hes cheap, no matter how bad you want it, it is not worth it.

twindiddy
09-19-2005, 04:18 PM
quoted him $1250. he said he didn't want to spend that much and would just do it himself. too bad, i wanted that job.

zim bob the landscaper
09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
order a panda or two you dont have to pay them :) :)

QualityLawnCare4u
09-19-2005, 08:27 PM
quoted him $1250. he said he didn't want to spend that much and would just do it himself. too bad, i wanted that job.

Yeah, let him tackle that job him self. He will think that price was not so high. Cant count the times Ive had folks tell me that then later on tell you "wow, I did not know what I was getting into, wished you would have done it". LOL, I love it! How long have you been doing this? Don't worry about the cheapskates like him, there are plenty more where he came from and then there are some good payers. Don't do it for nothing! They don't give these commercial clippers and chain saws away.