PDA

View Full Version : Which Brand of truck to Buy Used?

Mike'sLawnCare
09-16-2005, 08:54 PM
I am in the process of searching for a used truck 1999-2003 model. Was wondering which brand will hold up better Ford or Dodge. I have a 6X10 dumptrailer to pull and my f150 doesn't pull it very well. I am wanting to get either a f250 or a Ram 2500. I need it also for snow plowing and everyday mowing 6X12 trailer. The Rams with 60-70,000 miles run $8-11,000. The F250 run $12,500-$16,000 with same mileage. This is for gasoline v8 engines. I like the look of the Ford better, but I also am on a budget.

Pecker
09-16-2005, 10:29 PM
IMO, Ford. As you pointed out, Dodge usually has a much lower resale value (good for you), but if I were depending on a truck to make a living it would be a Ford. Second choice would be a Chevy, but only if it had an Allison transmission (I still can't get over having to spend extra $$ on a new vehicle to buy the optional transmission that will actually hold up when the truck is used for a truck). Although I have to admit my F-150 had to have the transimssion replaced at 20K. Dodge would be my last choice (on a side note - remember, Dodge wouldn't even be an option if the government hadn't bailed them out years ago after a bad slew of crappy automobiles. The PT Cruiser was a nicebreak through for them though - [giving credit where credit is due] and it could really come in handy at a funeral too. But I would take a Dodge if somebody gave it to me.

Basically, none are without their faults. But IMO, Ford has consistently always made the best truck (cars are another topic), especially when it comes down to reliability.

One man's sought opinion. . .

Mancinioldhorse
09-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Thats just me though! Lower resale?...I have had quite a few offers on my Ram 2500 4x4 for a lot more than you'd think. Never had a problem with it. Well I am going to have to replace the ignition switch but thats it, and it's been pulling a trailer since new..either a 14' for lawn maintenance or a 20' with a full sized john deere tractor with bucket and implements on it for landscape construction.

As far as the "Dodge wouldn't even be here without a government bailout comment"..... hello!!!! what does that have to do with market value or dependability. chrysler/ dodge is now a daimler Benz chrysler corporation. Backed by Mercedes Daimler/Benze and their quality control. The buy american either ford or chevy days are long gone. They all use foreign made parts...either made in canada, mexico, japan..where ever.

JTF40
09-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Last time that I checked, not one Ford F150 or Superduty has EVER been assembled anywhere than the U.S.A. As for reliability, all vehicles have their problems. The best way to purchase a used truck is to stay away from the lots - try to buy from a friend or relative that you TRUST. payup

topsites
09-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Last time that I checked, not one Ford F150 or Superduty has EVER been assembled anywhere than the U.S.A. As for reliability, all vehicles have their problems. The best way to purchase a used truck is to stay away from the lots - try to buy from a friend or relative that you TRUST. payup

Yes agreed, get the best truck for the money nevermind so much the brand... My '86 D-250 I paid $1,400 for is finishing out its third year with less than 600 dollars in repairs (not including maintenance) over that time, I really can't complain, 14mpg's for a carb'd 318 about the only thing frustrates me a bit with Dodge is their low-compression engines have absolutely NO power but then they are VERY quiet and if I take it real easy on the gas, the mpg is unbelievable.
Everyone has had their unreliable cars of one brand or another, sometimes the nightmare of most turns into the dream of one, I had a Renault for many years everyone said the Renault Alliance was nothing but trouble but for me it was one the best cars I ever had, so you really never know for sure.

Pecker
09-17-2005, 09:23 AM
hello!!!! what does that have to do with market value or dependability.

Their lack of dependability is what put them in the crapper in the first place. As far as market value, people tend to put more faith [and their money] in companies with a solid history (not saying that Chevy or Ford are perfect, but definately more solid). Just my observations though. . .

Pecker
09-17-2005, 09:24 AM
The best way to purchase a used truck is to stay away from the lots - try to buy from a friend or relative that you TRUST. payup

Sound advice :drinkup:

lawnmaniac883
09-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Well, before smalltimer chimes in with his brand loyalty, I would have to say either is ok. But, as the others have said, buy from someone you know, or get to know them before you buy.

Gravel Rat
09-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Another thing is don't be in a hurry to buy a truck take your time and look around. You get in a rush and buy a truck it may not be what you really wanted or its not as good as you thought then the truck you wanted turns up then your :(

My preference is Ford I wouldn't really buy a Dodge they are not that good of a truck they never were. Most companies in the heavy industries (Forestry Mining Construction) all buy Ford and Chev P/Us for one reason and its because they last longer than Dodge. There is a reason why you can buy a Dodge cheaper than anything else is because no one wants to buy a used Dodge. Its the same here Dodge trucks are so much cheaper than a Ford or a Chev.

For diesel truck sales if Dodge wasn't riding on Cummins reputation I seriously doubt Dodge would even be in the line up. As for gasser trucks the only popular truck they have now is the 1500 with the Hemi.

If you want a tough work truck go with the Ford you won't be sorry about spending the extra money. You buy the Dodge you will be spending the extra 2000 to 4000 dollars you saved on rebuilding the brakes 100 times,repairing the front end and rebuilding the transmission.

Metro Lawn
09-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Dodge, hands down. We have 11 Dodge trucks and I can't say enough good things about them. Our 1 and only Chevy is a money pit P.O.S. and we quit buying Fords over 10 years ago because of the down time we had with them. No better plow truck ever made than a Dodge. If I were in your shoes, I would opt for a late 80s or early 90s 3/4 or 1 ton Dodge. Look for one from the south that is clean and rust free. Cummins diesel would be the best choice. You can prob. find one with around 100,000 on it in great shape for $4,000 to $7,000. Cummins are known to run up to a million miles without an overhaul. The trucks are built solid with heavy duty parts, good transmissions, ect. I bought this 89 w250 Cummins with 90,000 on it for $5000. Had it 4 years with no problems. No rust on the truck. Should last another 10 years easy.

cborden
09-17-2005, 08:57 PM
I like the F-250 Super Duty. Mine is a 2003. I was looking for a diesel, but had to settle for a gas. It pulls my 24' enclosed trailer with no problem. IMO, I'd say buy a Ford.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-17-2005, 09:34 PM
I think most of you guys on here are just brand loyal, i am myself lol, id only buy probably ford or gm and nothing else. That said, id go for either a Ford/Silverado/Sierra truck. I do like how dodge looks for the new ones and they have a nice diesel but i still coudlnt find more reasons to buy it over a Ford or GM. I have a ford now and would buy another. I am considering a GM but still like the newest F350s for 2005. As far as used, if i looked for a used truck probably be a 2000-2002 i think Chevy Silverado with the 6.0L v8. I donkt like their newer look so much but i love those model years. I worked for a guy with a 2001 with the 6.0L in a 2500 HD and that pulled his lawn trailer easily, much easier than my 5.0L f150 does.

Jpocket
09-22-2005, 09:01 PM
If it's GAS GM ALL THE WAY!.

efaubert1
09-22-2005, 11:14 PM
First, I love Ford. Second I would NOT buy the 5.4L V8 for hauling much above 5,000 pounds. I had an 03 F250 Reg cab 4x4, and it was a dog. But I pull heavier trailers on a regular basis due to horses. If your going to buy a used Ford gasser get the V10. The difference in mpg is only 1-2 mpg, I promise, and it will have plenty of power. I so disliked the 03 gasser I traded it for a 99 7.3PSD across the board. Oh yeah, I forgot, the tranny gave out at 37,800 miles so I would have had to spend $1900 for a reman tranny if I hadn't left it for the dealer.

erictate
09-23-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm gonna be the odd ball here. Can't beat Toyota. I'm driving a Tundra v8. Unbelievable gas mileage, plenty of power, can't even tell the trailer is behind me.
6x16, JD Z-Trac 60", MT20-48 Walker, Stihl everywhere else!!!

Smalltimer1
09-23-2005, 12:20 AM
First, I love Ford. Second I would NOT buy the 5.4L V8 for hauling much above 5,000 pounds. I had an 03 F250 Reg cab 4x4, and it was a dog. But I pull heavier trailers on a regular basis due to horses. If your going to buy a used Ford gasser get the V10. The difference in mpg is only 1-2 mpg, I promise, and it will have plenty of power. I so disliked the 03 gasser I traded it for a 99 7.3PSD across the board. Oh yeah, I forgot, the tranny gave out at 37,800 miles so I would have had to spend $1900 for a reman tranny if I hadn't left it for the dealer.

Check this place out-- http://www.brianstruckshop.com/

A BTS tranny is well worth the time and extra $$$.

Smalltimer1
09-23-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm gonna be the odd ball here. Can't beat Toyota. I'm driving a Tundra v8. Unbelievable gas mileage, plenty of power, can't even tell the trailer is behind me.
6x16, JD Z-Trac 60", MT20-48 Walker, Stihl everywhere else!!!

I got a buddy that swapped a 351/C6 into his Toyota--its quite a neat truck. Looks good, runs good, and will pull anything he hooks up to.