PDA

View Full Version : Overseed Fescue / Pre-Emergent options

khutch
09-17-2005, 09:22 AM
What is the pre-em that can be used at the same time as overseeding fescue? I am looking mainly for Poa Annua control.
What is the general wisdom about a pendi type pre-em app about 10 weeks after seeding? Too close to seed application? Too late for effective weeed control?

garydale
09-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Khutch,

"Siduron", Trade name "Tupersan" in 50W and granular.

It has a limited list of grassy weeds, so check label.

I'm thinking it may not recognize annual poa from desisirable.

Let us know if it works in Georgia.

Gary

ThreeWide
09-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Not sure if Siduron is labled to control Poa.

You should be able to apply your pre-emergent after the new turf has been mowed 4 times or so. In this case, I would use Barricade instead of pendimethalin. This is because Barricade will be less stressful on the new root system of the Fescue.

Also, you could use Prograss to supress any Poa after the Fescue has established. Not sure if that is in your budget, but certainly possible.

khutch
09-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Some smart alecks might say "Well if I mow it every other day, I could apply Barricade in a week..." What is mowing 4 times or so - 6 weeks?

ThreeWide
09-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Might be better to say 45 days then.

The real factor is, when you are satisfied with your density/coverage of Fescue you can go ahead and apply the Barricade. After 45 days, you should have enough germination. But as they say, your mileage may vary due to overall conditions.

spray guy
09-17-2005, 02:04 PM
starting next week and finishing up around mid october. I won't apply any pre emergent until late february of next year and only apply the pre emergent in the sunny areas so I don't get any crabgrass in those more vulnerable areas. The main thing I stress is proper fertilizing and watering and mowing and I do not want anything to offset the tillering and establishment of the new fescue.

khutch
09-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks there TurfUnlimited - Wanted to add the pre-em is for Poa Annua and broadleafs, crab apps are for next year.....