PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing right after aerating

jajwrigh
09-17-2005, 11:43 AM
I have a good friend who is a golf course superintendant and he told me that if fertilizer gets down into the holes that it will harm the grass plant. I am talking about fertilizing a week or two after aerating. I don't believe it, what do you guys think?

spray guy
09-17-2005, 02:09 PM
based on good or bad expereinces. I have fertilized many times right before or after applying fertilizer and have not seen all that much different results.

br1dge
09-17-2005, 02:59 PM
It is usually better, the nutrients get down the the root zone where they are best absorbed. Some nutrients are not mobile in the soil, so what you described is the best case scenario - I think your friend just reconsider giving out such advise.

NC Big Daddy
09-17-2005, 05:40 PM
We typically don't fertilize until we have germination.

NattyLawn
09-17-2005, 06:27 PM
We typically don't fertilize until we have germination.

No seeding was mentioned there Big Daddy...

jajwrigh
09-18-2005, 01:29 AM
No seeding at all...just aeration.

teeca
09-18-2005, 11:45 AM
on a golf course, where you have very poor root structure due to the grass being mowed so short and always under stress, maybe he is correct, but i always fert and seed (if needed) on the same visit as the aeration and never had a problem. just my thoughts

stumper1620
09-18-2005, 11:56 AM
on a golf course, where you have very poor root structure due to the grass being mowed so short and always under stress, maybe he is correct, but i always fert and seed (if needed) on the same visit as the aeration and never had a problem. just my thoughts
I used to work a golf course, we aerated greens the same way every year,
aerate, drag, blow remaining cores off, mow & fert. all the same day or if running behind, mow next morning then fert. we had beautiful greens, never ever had a burn. :D
I fertilize asap after aerating, i want them roots to run deeper for the nutrients.

LonniesLawns
09-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Fertilizing afeter aeration is ideal. Especially if you are using any organics -- the fertilizer I used in rd 3 --- 21-3-7 organic based speciifcally staes on bag -- results are enhanced if done WITH aeration.

Garth
09-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Maybe he meant a specific type of fertilizer? Microbial breakdown of some fertilizers is required BEFORE plants can absorb nutrients. Some grandulars will burn plant tissues without being broke down first even if watered in. Just a thought.