PDA

View Full Version : Aerator kicked my a$$

eruuska
09-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Got a few aeration jobs this month, did 'em this past week. About 32k total, did them twice, 90 degrees apart. This is the first time I've used a WB aerator, always used the tow-behind.

I rented a Ryan Lawnaire IV. Did a real nice job, everyone was pleased. But I have NEVER had my butt kicked by a machine like that one did. By the end of 23k I was ready to roll over and die. Luckily it was getting dark and I could put off the other 9k till the morning. But MAN!!!

This is my first season, and I plan rapid growth for next year, so I'm hoping to be able to justify a zPlugr sometime in 2006.

To all you guys who run WB aerators all day long, I take my hat off.

wriken
09-17-2005, 12:12 PM
My crew leader did about 60,000' yesterday, said about the same thing. Found muscles he never knew he had. :)

Runner
09-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Been there, done that. That's why I say,...there's nothing like a pull behind aerator. It changes the job into a WHOLE DIFFERENT task.

SodKing
09-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Been there, done that. That's why I say,...there's nothing like a pull behind aerator. It changes the job into a WHOLE DIFFERENT task.

True...I never sold too much aeration until I got the 3 pt hitch aerator, now I can do about 200,000+ per day.

6'7 330
09-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Got a few aeration jobs this month, did 'em this past week. About 32k total, did them twice, 90 degrees apart. This is the first time I've used a WB aerator, always used the tow-behind.

I rented a Ryan Lawnaire IV. Did a real nice job, everyone was pleased. But I have NEVER had my butt kicked by a machine like that one did. By the end of 23k I was ready to roll over and die. Luckily it was getting dark and I could put off the other 9k till the morning. But MAN!!!

This is my first season, and I plan rapid growth for next year, so I'm hoping to be able to justify a zPlugr sometime in 2006.

To all you guys who run WB aerators all day long, I take my hat off.
Is my assumption, that you only made one pass with the LA IV correct?
If so, that machine only pulls nine holes a square foot, to do a proper aeration job on the turf; you would need to make two passes. You would have experienced double tire lol. We use tow-behinds and for city lots the Ryan La 28's, but they are expensive, when we need to add more aerators, we will long and hard at the plugr.

Are any of you plugr owners ,aware of what diameter size hole the machine pokes? 9/16TH OR 5/8TH?

eruuska
09-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Is my assumption, that you only made one pass with the LA IV correct?
If so, that machine only pulls nine holes a square foot, to do a proper aeration job on the turf; you would need to make two passes. You would have experienced double tire lol. We use tow-behinds and for city lots the Ryan La 28's, but they are expensive, when we need to add more aerators, we will long and hard at the plugr.

Are any of you plugr owners ,aware of what diameter size hole the machine pokes? 9/16TH OR 5/8TH?

No, I made 2 passes, 90 degrees apart. Perpendicular to each other, in other words. I felt like cheating and only doing one pass in the back yards, but I resisted temptation. :angel:

And I was reacing on the plugr website, they poke a 5/8 inch hole.

lawn king
09-17-2005, 03:42 PM
I did 23 k today with the old lesco, cross aerated all of it. It really is a workout. I love the old 30's. Every 5 years i take the machine apart (every component) i sand, prime and repaint. Basic maintenence, oil,bushings,belts,etc. as needed. The old girl just keeps on going!

6'7 330
09-17-2005, 04:00 PM
One more question about the plugr, do you have to buy direct, or with a dealer? To the best of my knowledge, no plugr dealer does business in my area.

The mayor
09-17-2005, 04:22 PM
You have to go through a dealer. I had major problems with the distributor. If you are in the chi area you will most likely deal with what I went through. On the other hand the product is nice,and plugr is great to deal with.

turfcobob
09-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Eruuska, You had the wrong machine. The Ryan aerators were designed back in the 1970s and have not changed much since. Rental dealers keep them for like forever. I watched a guy do a lawn this past week with one of the new Turfco aerators you ride behind on a sulky. He was zipping around an acre lawn and neve even broke a sweat. He had just bought his and they have been out several years.

Ain't technology great!!!

Turfcobob

eruuska
09-19-2005, 05:32 PM
I hope to have enough aeration work next season to justify something like a Z-Plug, or at least something like a Plugr PL800. I've heard good things about these machines.

Runner
09-19-2005, 07:46 PM
I did 23 k today with the old lesco, cross aerated all of it. It really is a workout. I love the old 30's. Every 5 years i take the machine apart (every component) i sand, prime and repaint. Basic maintenence, oil,bushings,belts,etc. as needed. The old girl just keeps on going!

That's an awesome machine. You want a helpful hint? get two old barbell weights, (about 20-40# total weight) and loop a strap though the weights. Use this to hang over the sq. tube at the T of the front caster bar. Just hang it over the op - stradddled with equal weight on each side. This counters the weight of it wanting to rock backward and makes walking the thing a WHOLE LOT easier. It also helps in penetration. :)

lawn king
09-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey joe, I'm glad to hear you like the L-30s and thats a good idea on the front weights. I purchased one in april of 1985 (800.00 new) and was so impressed with it i purchased another that fall. I just can't give them up. You know what it's like,i'm sure, to have a machine that is a model A beside new stuff, but you would rather run the model A. Lesco says that it was not a big seller so they stopped production. There is one for sale at lawn **** if you know anyone looking for one. Scott.