PDA

View Full Version : The right machine for you.

lawn king
09-17-2005, 04:27 PM
I know that all lco's have their own perspective on how to run a lawn care company & what is profitable,that being said, i can't see spending more than $5000. on a machine that can only perform one function! For instance, the new ride on aerators, if aeration was an all season 40 hours a week deal i coul'd justify it, however, it's not! I justify spending $18000. on my tractor because it can do anything and it generates revenue year round. Think it through before you buy, as the right machine for you can make or break you! payup

eruuska
09-17-2005, 10:21 PM
I think you have to look at the revenue a new machine would bring in. If a $7000 machine generates $15000 per year, even though it's only used 2 months every season, I'd say it's worth every penny. I'm not in favor of spending big bucks on machines that don't pay for themselves, but I'm certainly not opposed to buying something that pays for itself many times over.

lawn king
09-17-2005, 10:38 PM
I just can't see exceeding 5 K on a machine that only has one function. Ther'e are exceptions, if all you do is irrigation, then a 20 K pipe puller is fine. Most lawn care companys are some what diverse, so buying a multi function machine not only increases revenues it reduces maintence. I have seen this trend in the industry over the past decade. Compact diesel tractors and machines such as the toro dingo are good examples.

eruuska
09-18-2005, 11:00 AM
I think you're being shortsighted. Why should the price tag of a single-function machine be the only deciding factor in whether or not to purchase it? The BIG question should be "Is this machine going to pay for itself and make me money?" If the answer is "Yes" then it should be purchased. Even if it only performs one function. Even if it costs $10K. Or more.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE multifunction machines. I'm in the process of outfitting my 48" WB with a boom sprayer and possibly a leaf vac. I'm also considering a leaf plow, aerator, and a couple other things. But I may also consider a Z-Plug Aerator, if I can generate enough aeration business to pay for it within a reasonable time frame.

BTW, I love these discussions. They get the brain movin'!

Have fun, LK!

lawn king
09-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Perhaps i am being a little shortsighted, but i will find another option before i lay out the big money for a single function machine.

iluvscag
09-18-2005, 05:01 PM
I think you have to look at the revenue a new machine would bring in. If a $7000 machine generates $15000 per year, even though it's only used 2 months every season, I'd say it's worth every penny. I'm not in favor of spending big bucks on machines that don't pay for themselves, but I'm certainly not opposed to buying something that pays for itself many times over.

My thoughts exactly. :)

Pilgrims' Pride
09-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Perhaps i am being a little shortsighted, but i will find another option before i lay out the big money for a single function machine.

Thats cuz your ooooold Scott! Just kidding! :p

lawn king
09-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Thats cuz your ooooold Scott! Just kidding! :p
Hey bob, you are correct i am getting old, i bet most of the people here never heard of balan,cyclone,or oftanol. Lawns around here seem to be bouncing back well huh? :cool:

Pilgrims' Pride
09-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Hey Scott

Ya all this rain has helped quite a bit.
Cooler weather and nice nights are a blessing too.

See Ya,

Bob