PDA

View Full Version : What would be some symptoms of valve problems with 4-mix...

dcplace2004
09-18-2005, 04:20 PM
I hear people talking about valves being out of adjustment and such...what are some symptoms of the valves giving problems?...thanks...

65hoss
09-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Lack of power and lack of idle. Mine would only run as long as I had my finger on the throttle. When I let it idle it died. Adjustment took about 5 minutes and fixed the problem.

6'7 330
09-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Lack of power and lack of idle. Mine would only run as long as I had my finger on the throttle. When I let it idle it died. Adjustment took about 5 minutes and fixed the problem.
Those are the symptons, and they can become apparent, at 10 hours or 200.

dcplace2004
09-19-2005, 01:36 AM
also, I thought I saw a gasket that comes with the kit...I saw a post that had an explanation of how to adjust the valves, but cannot find it...Does one have to replace the gasket every time the valves are adjusted?...thanks...

65hoss
09-19-2005, 07:51 AM
also, I thought I saw a gasket that comes with the kit...I saw a post that had an explanation of how to adjust the valves, but cannot find it...Does one have to replace the gasket every time the valves are adjusted?...thanks...
I replaced mine. The old one was fine, I probably could have used it again.
It came with a gasket and feelers gauge. You need to set them using that unique little feelers gauge and that is all.

dcplace2004
09-19-2005, 12:38 PM
or do the temperatures get too high...

kc2006
09-19-2005, 01:01 PM
as long as the gasket is not torn you should be fine. I haven't done this job but I know about it. If the gasket is rubber its reusable, if its cork just make sure its not torn and your fine.

If you've ever set valves on an older car you can do this no problem.

lawnmaniac883
09-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Seeing how the crankcase is dry, meaning you dont have oil sitting in the sump, the gasket is not a life or oil spewing situation. However, if it is messed up I would reccomend replacing it, the valve adjustment takes a few minutes and will drastically increase the power output of your unit. Happy adjusting.

splatz100
09-19-2005, 08:46 PM
I have a 110, and it shuts down at idle. Should I take it to my dealer?? Its just a backup but I just thought it was a POS stihl(shindaiwa at heart)....

lawnmaniac883
09-19-2005, 08:50 PM
splatz, my dealer will adjust my valves free on the counter if I drive over there, but it is really a easy task to do yourself. Just take the plastic covers off, remove the valve cover, rotate engine to tdc compression stroke (both rockers will be loose) look in owners manual for the clearance spec I think it is .002 or something, slide feelers in, tighten down the bolt on top of rocker arm until the feeler will glide freely under the rocker arm but is firm. Replace cover and make use of your terrific stihl again!