PDA

View Full Version : Bed edgers?

nobagger
09-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Those of you who have this luxury,lol what kind are worth a crap and how do they perform?

Gilla Gorilla
09-18-2005, 09:19 PM
I have the Brown bed edger and love it. The only thing that I am going to change is to a deeper cutting bit. The ones that come stock only cut down 3 inches and that does not leave you room to put much mulch down into the edge at all. I am going to get the 4 inch bit but might just get the 5 inch bit and keep it set around 4 inches for most new edges being cut.

I also bought a bit for trenching to install the 4 inch black drainage pipe and it worked great, just make sure that you get the bit that trenches 6 inches deep and not 4 inches. 4 inches is just not deep enough for drainage pipe.

There are alot of different bits you can get for this edger so it is something that you should look into.

JKOOPERS
09-19-2005, 01:18 AM
the brown bed edger works great i just wish it was self propelled to go from one building to another . the machine will break any man down . heres a pic of some edging i did with this machine in march .

MowingisMaddness
11-24-2005, 11:34 AM
the brown bed edger works great i just wish it was self propelled to go from one building to another . the machine will break any man down.

So you mean my guys will complain at the end of the day about having to use it? I really like the idea of being able to multitask with this machine. However in my experince if at the end of the day the guys don't like using it, it wont be a good machine for my business:cry:.

How much do the different blades cost? Are they available online?

thanks, aj

tiedeman
11-24-2005, 11:37 AM
the brown bed edger works great i just wish it was self propelled to go from one building to another . the machine will break any man down . heres a pic of some edging i did with this machine in march .

I always thought that it was self-propelled.

Well, scratch that off my list of wants

Green Pastures
11-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Google is your friend........

http://www.brownmfgcorp.com/bededger/

impactlandscaping
11-24-2005, 11:43 AM
I just used the Sidewinder from Turf Teq the other day. Talk about a machine....wow! 13 HP, self propelled, and several edging options. We opened up about 400' of new edges in rocky, clay soil in about 10-15 minutes. It's on the list for spring along with their Power Rake.:D

MowingisMaddness
11-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Google is your friend........

http://www.brownmfgcorp.com/bededger/

I had found their webpage but, asked about pricing, specifically pricing on different blades. I sure couldn't find anything like that on their page, only general specs;) .

impactlandscaping,

Can you put different blades on the Sidewinder from Turf Teq. Like for burying irrigation pipe? I know the brown edger has many blade options.

Green Pastures
11-24-2005, 12:03 PM
I had found their webpage but, asked about pricing, specifically pricing on different blades. I sure couldn't find anything like that on their page, only general specs;) .

I wasn't talking to you.... ;)

:)

impactlandscaping
11-24-2005, 12:22 PM
impactlandscaping,

Can you put different blades on the Sidewinder from Turf Teq. Like for burying irrigation pipe? I know the brown edger has many blade options.

Sure can, but be prepared to pay more for this machine than the rest. I priced a new Brown at Expo w/9hp engine for around 2300.00. The Turf Teq I think is around 4K. The swingout arm feature is nice for neat, tight tree rings. The self propel is controlled by squeezing the hand lever, and ground speed is adjustable. The only thing I noticed was on a slight incline, the machine wanted to dip to the right. I would prefer the cutting side to be on the left rather than the right. All in all, it was still easy to see where you were cutting and keep the machine in a straight line.

scottishmaximus
11-24-2005, 12:53 PM
I have used the Brown Bed edger and the Bedscaper by ez trench. The Bedsaper was more manueverable while using, having a tighter turning radius. I couldn't do some tree rings with the Brown. The Bedscaper takes a little time to learn how to steer it from job to job and keep it balanced. They both left a nice edge.

Gilla Gorilla
11-24-2005, 11:27 PM
If you are looking for other blades for the Brown Unit try looking at
WWW.power41.com I am pretty sure they sell different blades.

lawncare4u
11-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Those of you who have this luxury,lol what kind are worth a crap and how do they perform?

McCLANE ALL THE WAY

C&KLawnCare
11-25-2005, 07:56 PM
I just used the Sidewinder from Turf Teq the other day. Talk about a machine....wow! 13 HP, self propelled, and several edging options. We opened up about 400' of new edges in rocky, clay soil in about 10-15 minutes.

And when he says rocky he dont mean pebbles either, LOL ,. Any way i did not run the machine but , It wizzed right thru the ground we was on , With the now and then Rock, Manhole cover, Phone line OPPS :help: 1.5 inches under the grass lol.

GreenMonster
11-25-2005, 09:08 PM
what kind are worth a crap and how do they perform?

yeah, like these guys said, the Brown is worth a crap alright. Incredible timesaver. I can't believe I edged by hand before :dizzy:

Gilla - it's nice to know that the machine will trench. I was wondering how well that worked. did you know you can actually get a stump grinding bit?!?!

Is there a re-edging blade for the machine too? Might be helpful for dressing up existing edges each spring.

Yes, self-propelled would be nice, but comparing the brown to a self propelled model, I had $2000 to spend on something else.

Also, the eztrench is very similar to the brown, but a little more manueverable due to the positioning of the wheels. Harder to move around though (balance) as someone else said.

Gilla Gorilla
11-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Yes it would be nice to have a self propelled unit. I bought my Brown for $1995 plus 5% tax so I think I got a great deal last year.

I had to re do the beds at my parents house ealier this summer, all 450 feet of them. Took less then 15 minutes but the ground was very dry. Last year by hand it took at least 4 hours for my self to do. Man that thing is a time saver.

Mark I did know about the stump grinder bit but have not had a need for it. I did get the drain tile bit last year and that was a real life saver but I got the one that only goes down about 4 or 5 inches so I still have to use a Mattox to get a couple inches deeper. If any one gets the drain tile bit you need to get the one that goes down 6 inches to avoid having to dig the other couple inches by hand.

turfcobob
12-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Check out the Turfco Edge r Rite at Turfco.com....It cuts like a sod cutter back and forth so the dirt does not get tossed up into the bed. YOu just pick it up. I have one and all 5 blades...I can edge a bed, install edging, do a curb cut and install tree rings..Costs around 1400 and it goes forward so you can trim realy close edges if you want to..Nearly replaces shovels..

olderthandirt
12-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Is there a re-edging blade for the machine too? Might be helpful for dressing up existing edges each spring.

Yes theres a re edging bit $130 trenching bit $199 time & labor saved priceless

BTW-- payed $850 for my Brown from an aspiring lco that went belly up in less than a season. I love the guys that don't know there cost but know everything else:D

GreenMonster
12-05-2005, 08:33 PM
BTW-- payed $850 for my Brown from an aspiring lco that went belly up in less than a season. I love the guys that don't know there cost but know everything else:D

You old dog. You've been around so long you know everything as well as your costs and everyone elses. Of course, you're so damn old, you can't have but another season in you. Give me a call and I'll take that Brown off your hands for $250 :)

YardPro
12-09-2005, 09:21 AM
we have a brown and love it....

machine price is about $2400.
blades are about $100.00 for either the trenching blage ( we use the 2X7 inch blade. and the 5 inch edger blade...... the 5 inch blade is overkill, so i wish i would have gone with the 4" like we had...

also we use the machine for irrigation all the time. We have NO ground freeze here so the 7" deep trench is fine for installs..Awesome machine... would never dream of not having one.

baddboygeorge
01-17-2006, 03:51 PM
buy a little wonder bed shaper an watch it work with out pulling it allday . these are awesome edgers an the are self propelled an move forward an cut on the left side . try one an i promise you will buy one