PDA

View Full Version : Duramax GMC

Turf Technologies
09-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Will br picking up my first diesel monday.Wondering why those that have them leave them running when there not in them?

DBL
09-18-2005, 10:27 PM
someone add to this but it is supposed to be more economical to leave them running then to keep starting and stopping. I have one and have been around diesel my whole life from farm tractors to tow trucks so i should know but i dont

jpmako
09-18-2005, 11:59 PM
I believe you are correct.
With some of the larger diesel engines it actually uses more fuel to start the motor than it does to let it idle for a 1/2 hour or so.

You will be happy with the D-Max I just got one about two months ago and have been nothing but pleased with it.

Good luck with the new truck :waving: !

Jason

stumper1620
09-19-2005, 08:18 AM
I believe you are correct.
With some of the larger diesel engines it actually uses more fuel to start the motor than it does to let it idle for a 1/2 hour or so.

You will be happy with the D-Max I just got one about two months ago and have been nothing but pleased with it.

Good luck with the new truck :waving: !

Jason
they need time idling for the bo to cool down.

xcopterdoc
09-19-2005, 08:43 AM
An engine thats running burns fuel.. An engine that isnt running burns no fuel.
Only reason to idle a diesel nowadays is to let the turbo whine down a lil before shutdown. Or if yur unsure if its gonna start again!
I work on alot of different diesels.. from 3 cyl to 18 cyl.. there isnt a one that takes more fuel to start than to run for 30 minutes.
Truckers leave their rigs idle I guess to power their A/C and electrical systems while they sleep.
Old timer let em run I think because they were such a pain to get started again sometimes! You had things like compression releases and air starters, hot shots and ether injectors. Yeah those were the good old days! NOT!

Turf Technologies
09-19-2005, 12:40 PM
OK then nothing to worry about. Any tips on maintance?

DBL
09-19-2005, 01:57 PM
i still see more diesel ideling then shut off like if a bunch of plow trucks are sitting around or just trucks in general

Turf Technologies
09-19-2005, 06:40 PM
O well, cant get the Duramax, have to settle for gas.The only Duramax the could find in the color I wanted had bad hail damage.

Brianslawn
09-19-2005, 07:52 PM
if its a gm diesel you have to leave them running cause they may not start again. lol! :p

lawnmaniac883
09-19-2005, 09:43 PM
I let my cummins idle if I know im only gonna be gone a minute or two mainly because I feel it is tougher on the engine to start and stop it every other minute, I will also let it idle to cool off the turbo after a WOT run :cool2: