PDA

View Full Version : blade sharpening

DBL
09-18-2005, 09:33 PM
I was just wondering how often you guys sharpen your blades i do it every once in a while when i have time not religously like many of you guys so i was just wondering a time to do it???

hole in one lco
09-18-2005, 09:37 PM
every day . I change blades every day iv got 20 sets to swap out

TURF DOCTOR
09-18-2005, 09:50 PM
90 percent of the time every morning,11 blades here.

DBL
09-18-2005, 10:02 PM
you guys....thats a big eye opener to me

fcl01
09-18-2005, 10:18 PM
i dont mow much so blades last me a long time.
i usually say 15 hrs on the machine between sharpenings.
i know guys that put those hours in a day and a half, i go a couple weeks.
and of course that depends on terrain, grass quality, operator, ect. ect. :)

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
09-18-2005, 10:21 PM
After every 8 hours of mowing.

Wells
09-18-2005, 10:22 PM
All blades get pulled off and sharpened weekly but during the real wet times of the year I will sharpen blades twice a week.

topsites
09-18-2005, 10:28 PM
I got somewhere around 24 blades (stocked up some this year after reading the forum) but one mower uses 3 sets, the other uses 4, and the last set is useless gator blades... The idea WAS to only have to sharpen them once / week but the older blades are worn (due to sharpening) beyond manufacturer specs so I only run them on the older machine as it has lower rpm's, the newer machine only runs the newer blades.

Far as sharpening, again I sharpen several sets at a time then I swap worn for fresh. Swap them end of day IF 4 yards or more that day, so every day or every 4 yards, whichever comes last.

Likestomow
09-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I change blades during the day if I hit something and one or more blades become blunt. It would be impractical to go back to the shop or wait until the end of the day. Gotta take it as it comes....

tslawncarellc
09-18-2005, 10:38 PM
We usually sharpen blades on a daily basis- sometimes we can go every other day. It just depends on who is running that mower on the previous day. :D

DynaMow
09-18-2005, 10:40 PM
WOW....... there is no way I am sharpening mine enough, I will change that. My problem is I don't feel I am very good at sharpening so in not wanting to lets say, make them worse I tend not to do it enough. My technique has been with a hand held angle grinder, but I think I am going to try to use my bench grinder next time, tommorrow morning. I do not feel though that using the edge of a round wheel will get me the right angle. I also feel that with the handheld grinder there is no way to be exact.

Would I be right in assuming that they are harder to sharpen and keep accurate with to much use between sharpening duty? Because I would think they get duller and duller the longer you use them.

Please help me on this, I have read other threads about sharpening (all I see) and as most other things, everbody does things their own way, what they feel works best. I am always willing to try something new suggested to me.

Why do you feel your way is better? Pros/Cons?

Jason Rose
09-18-2005, 11:10 PM
I sharpen baldes on my Z 3 times a week now. In the spring I may do it 4 or 5 times a week. Tends to depend a lot on the lawns you mow and your soil conditions. Nice lawns with no weeds on a clay soil may take a week of mowing to start to dull a set of blades. Weedy lawns or sandy soil can dull a set of blades in an hour sometimes.

I'd say every 8 hours is a good timeframe. I put about 25 hours a week on my Z (my main machine) and sharpen 3 times a week. I do mine sunday night, tuesday night, and thursday night. The walkbehinds get done as needed. I just give the blade a feel with my fingers, if it nearly cuts me, it's still good. If not, it's sharpening time.

I talked to a friend once that said he changes blades every 4 hours, which if you really think about it that's once a day, because most of us aren't really running one machine all day for 8 hours...

JKOOPERS
09-19-2005, 12:08 AM
every night i get back i grease almost everything and ALWAYS put sharp blades on . i test the sharpness of my blades by cutting paper with them . the more you sharpen them the easier it is . i have 5 sets for my all my mowers.

DBL
09-19-2005, 12:54 PM
i have a buddy who runs a garage who i used to drive a tow truck for and he sharpens my blades for me and does an amazing job he is so meticulus but half the reason i dont get them sharpened as much is i hate to bother him....i guess im gopnna have to learn to do them myself

Itsgottobegreen
09-19-2005, 11:59 PM
I got 15 sets of gator blades between 3 standers. 5 days a week. 5 sets of blades. (we only cut 2.5 days aweek. So I only have to sharpend the entire set ever other week)

Brianslawn
09-20-2005, 03:56 AM
every day.. and i carry a dewalt 18v impact and a dewalt 18v angle grinder just in case i have to sharpen more often.

20-30 yards a day... yeah they get dull.

Nosmo
09-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Leslein Lawn: If you want to try using a bench grinder it will put a hollow ground edge on the blade. When using a bench grinder here is what I do.

I clamp a long piece of angle iron using small C clamps to each of the two tool rests. The closer you clamp the angle iron to the stone --- the smaller the angle will be. Use the
inside edge of the L on the angle to draw the blade across the stone. Alternate between all three blades at the same time to keep the blades from overheating.

After grinding each blade use a hand file to somewhat flatten out the razor sharp edge to prevent future knicks that will occur with a razor sharp edge.

Check for balance and you are ready to put 'em back on and mow some grass.

PS: I forgot to mention using the left grinding wheel.
Nosmo

topsites
09-20-2005, 10:00 AM
We usually sharpen blades on a daily basis- sometimes we can go every other day. It just depends on who is running that mower on the previous day. :D

How true, and depends somewhat, too, I'm pretty religious about it but some days I just can't take it anymore and I let it go as well. After all, you really CAN let it go 2-3 days but it is rare in my case.

DynaMow
09-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Leslein Lawn: If you want to try using a bench grinder it will put a hollow ground edge on the blade. When using a bench grinder here is what I do.

I clamp a long piece of angle iron using small C clamps to each of the two tool rests. The closer you clamp the angle iron to the stone --- the smaller the angle will be. Use the
inside edge of the L on the angle to draw the blade across the stone. Alternate between all three blades at the same time to keep the blades from overheating.

After grinding each blade use a hand file to somewhat flatten out the razor sharp edge to prevent future knicks that will occur with a razor sharp edge.

Check for balance and you are ready to put 'em back on and mow some grass.

PS: I forgot to mention using the left grinding wheel.
Nosmo

thank you sir, i am going to try that tommorrow