PDA

View Full Version : You name it I'll break it.

South Florida Lawns
09-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Stuff just doesn't last for me. I have ben't 3 spindles this year, had a side blowout on my z (4 ply tire too) and just ran into a dump truck last week doing close to $2000 dollars worth of damage to the trailer, truck escaped with only a small scratch. To top it all off last week I put a crack in the housing on my transfer case in the jeep:cry:. Do any of you have bad luck like me or just generally put a beating on your equipment?

grassyfras
09-19-2005, 12:36 AM
If I was a hung over I would break stuff. If I was in a rush cause I underbid a job I broke stuff or damaged it. When I take my time and bid right things go good. And I dont work if Im hung over.

Mr. Magpie
09-19-2005, 12:58 AM
Just barely nudged this guys light post with my ZTR and crack..... there went an hour of my sunday pouring concrete to fix it.

You feel yourself gettingn into one of those zones where you aren't paying attention or are in some sort of idiotic frenzy, snap out of it, or pay dearly.

Dude, you've got a tough track record! Learn a little finesse! Think of it this way..... personify your equipment and pretend like they will treat you good if you ride them easy. As you approach an incline on your rider, whisper to your baby to pull through for you...... talk to her and promise her the world if she can hold tight to the steep grade! Hey, it works for me!

sheshovel
09-19-2005, 01:13 AM
I break stuff too.As far as shovels go and most hand tools inless its tempered made in the USA steel I will break it for sure.But I have more of a problem taking my stuff apart then not putting it back together right.Or loosing the little parts like seals and springs and washers or special stuff you can't just go outy and buy...ya gotta order it.Those are the things I break or loose.I rarely break my vehicles.

South Florida Lawns
09-24-2005, 01:42 AM
I mean think about it, We sure put our equipment through its paces and I'm sure manufactures could use positive feed back on their new products and how it stands up. I wonder how I could sign up for tests like this? Or if this is even offered to LCO's.

jtrice11
09-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Stuff just doesn't last for me. I have ben't 3 spindles this year, had a side blowout on my z (4 ply tire too) and just ran into a dump truck last week doing close to $2000 dollars worth of damage to the trailer, truck escaped with only a small scratch. To top it all off last week I put a crack in the housing on my transfer case in the jeep:cry:. Do any of you have bad luck like me or just generally put a beating on your equipment?

Cut out the bloody mary's before you head out for the day! Just kidding, I broke a bunch of crap last week too. 2 recoils, 2 chainsaws, tank sprayer, and the dust cap on the ZTR. Worst week of the season.

lawnmaniac883
09-24-2005, 09:52 PM
LOL, I usually mess other peoples stuff up after doing a pristine job elsewhere. Few weeks back I was more intrigued by a hot chick jogging in the neighborhood I was mowing and hit a TECO power box lol. Shifted it 3 inches on its slab, no damage at all to my mower.

nitrotim
09-24-2005, 10:57 PM

Lets see, I lost a good shovel, broke the trailer jack wheel, snapped the bolt on my edger changing a blade because I forgot it was reverse threaded and got my gas can stolen of the trailer, smashed a downspout turning around on the mower, cut a supply sprinkler pipe with the weed whip,(you should of seen the the water pouring out of that one)> all in one week. One bad week for me but sometimes it just goes that way.

BSDeality
09-24-2005, 11:11 PM
this is the time of (mowing) season where I feel most burned out. the hours are crazy with lawn renovations, plantings & the like. I try to slow down a little when I feel like I'm not quite connected to my work 'cause nothing adds to that 'burned out' feeling like having to fork over cash to repair something that should not have happened in the first place.

topsites
09-25-2005, 12:10 AM
I break stuff too.As far as shovels go and most hand tools inless its tempered made in the USA steel I will break it for sure.But I have more of a problem taking my stuff apart then not putting it back together right.Or loosing the little parts like seals and springs and washers or special stuff you can't just go outy and buy...ya gotta order it.Those are the things I break or loose.I rarely break my vehicles.

I find myself in a similar situation, my 'problem' is whenever I work on something and there are several parts involved, I always end up with at least one left-over part after everything is back together... I look at it and study it considerably but never can figure out where it goes so then I start (carefully) whatever it is I just fixed to try and figure out what it could be that is missing and it always amazes me the stuff appears to work dandy without said part and usually MOST of it lasts many years... I have an entire box full of spare parts, I don't understand where they come from, most everything I have works like new, it is very strange.
But then, what else would you expect from me, right?

topsites
09-25-2005, 12:18 AM
I mean think about it, We sure put our equipment through its paces and I'm sure manufactures could use positive feed back on their new products and how it stands up. I wonder how I could sign up for tests like this? Or if this is even offered to LCO's.

Give it to me, I *LIKE* testing stuff especially when it just happens. Worst thing I hate is water meters omg those things are murder thou I've only hit 1 (of course several times) in ONE particular yard this water meter, technically not the meter but the cover which is made of steel.
The other thing I dislike are trees, I like to get as close as possible with the mower to cut out some weed-eating and sure enough sometimes the deck snags on the trunk some kinda way... Doesn't really hurt anything but it annoys the crap out of me. On that note, I dislike it when the deck snags on a root or sidewalk as well (especially when it slides across and you can just HEAR the paint scratching off).
Then there is the metal grate on the trailer, I used to apparently enjoy catching the mower's blade bolt on the grate near the top where gate meets trailer MAN that is such a major pita.
But things got better over the years, they say practice makes perfect (well, almost!) :rolleyes:

proenterprises
09-25-2005, 01:07 AM
I feel you pain, although, I try and work safe and smart at all times. When you feel burned out and need a break, take one, dont rush and work carelessly. Haste does make waste, mostly in the form of $$$$

BSDeality
09-25-2005, 11:11 AM
oh yea, one more thing. Take a nap! the other day i was running on 4 hours of sleep after some emergency equipment repairs the night before. I crashed around 1 that day, i just found a shady spot by my next job and layed down across the bench and took a 20 min nap. I used my cell phone as an alarm clock, worked like a charm.

JTW
09-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Well we have had plenty of equipment break downs this year I also whipped out a gas meter at one of the apartment complexs we mow. Was leaking like a mofo, had to have the fire dept and the gas and electric company come to shut it off and replace it. Now I go extra slow and pay careful attention while I am mowing up next to the buildings.