PDA

View Full Version : Where is Gator-rator / Groundbreakers

FERT-TEK
09-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Little help here if you can.
I currently have a Gator-rator aerator that needs a new ram. Today I tried to call Bryant from Ground Breakers the maker of the Gator-rator and found that the phone is disconnected. Do any of you know how to contact them by phone. I have already left an e-mail but urgently need to get this repaired ASAP since I have work lined up and no aerator.
Other than calling Gator-rator do you know who makes the ram or where I can buy one?
I have had this ram repaired last year but cant find any paperwork on it. :help:

Varsity L&G
09-19-2005, 03:35 PM

fax line works

Fax them.

Looks like everything that had was with verizon wireless

Runner
09-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Dog gone it. Someone just posted on here about what that ram (and motor) was...it wasn't but about 2 months ago.

FERT-TEK
09-19-2005, 09:55 PM

fax line works

Fax them.

Looks like everything that had was with verizon wireless
Varsity, did he return a fax you sent him today? I do not have access to a fax from home. Sounds like he is out of busiiness though. That is too bad because I think he made a good product. The metal work on the aerator is well built. Unfortunately, the ram broke twice in two years and appears to be the weak link.
Took the ram apart today to see if there was anything on it that identified the manufacturer of the ram. Found out that it is made here in Illinois in Belvedere about 1 hr west of where I live. Called them and they said that I can UPS them the ram and they will either replace it for around $220 or repair it for $50 to just look at it and whatever time and parts are needed. The guy also said that he thought that Groundbreakers / Gator-rator was out of business. The ram manufacturer also stated the repaired one will operate at half the speed but should be much more durable when they are done with it. Warrantee, I dont know yet.

FERT-TEK
09-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Dog gone it. Someone just posted on here about what that ram (and motor) was...it wasn't but about 2 months ago.
Runner, did a search today before creating this thread and found nothing. If you find it let me know so I can follow up with whoever started that thread with what I found out today.

Tight Angles
09-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Is that gator-rator a good investment? I've seen them and they look pretty sweet. Do they do a good job aerating? Just wondering if I should buy one. Thanks.

The mayor
09-19-2005, 10:34 PM
My dealer claims that john deere had some interest in the gator rator. Maybe they will be back under a new name.

FERT-TEK
09-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Is that gator-rator a good investment? I've seen them and they look pretty sweet. Do they do a good job aerating? Just wondering if I should buy one. Thanks.
Not sure if they are in business any more. I am glad that I bought mine although maintaining the mechanicals is now a concern. I would buy again if I could pulls plugs similar to a lawnaire 5 when the soil is moist.

Varsity L&G
09-20-2005, 12:29 AM
I did not fax them but I will fax them when I get to work in the AM to see if there is a response. Maybe someone forgot to pay the phone bill on the other lines.

korelandscaping
09-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Oh Boy, I just purchased one a few weeks back! Let me know if you make contact with them...I'll cross my fingers for the next few weeks of aerating.

lawn_pro
09-20-2005, 06:22 AM
I have been thinking about buying one, do they work well? pull nice plugs? just curious. Any other problems?

stumper1620
09-20-2005, 08:20 AM
that was on a post about tow behind aerators, I forget who posted a pic. of their home made lift, I'll see if I can find it. anyway, E-bay or a general search for actuator lifts or actuator arm should pull up more options than you can imagine for availible replacement rams. the ram is nothing more than a actuator arm for the old monster size satillite dish. :D

stumper1620
09-20-2005, 08:32 AM
here's the thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=112107&page=1&pp=10&highlight=actuator

stumper1620
09-20-2005, 08:34 AM
I guess this explains why I couldn't get hold of him when I wanted to buy one.

FERT-TEK
09-20-2005, 09:04 AM
I have been thinking about buying one, do they work well? pull nice plugs? just curious. Any other problems?
only concern is whether they are still in business. Machine is solid and pulls good plugs.

FERT-TEK
09-20-2005, 09:08 AM
I also contacted Sean Adams from Lawn Site to see if he had contact info since Groundbreakers used to be a sponsor here. his reply is below minus the phone numbers Sean left for me to contact him if I track down Groundbreakers.

"I have not spoken to him in a long time - he was a sponsor at one time and when it came time for him to renew his sponsorship we could not get a hold of him. If you can't reach him let me know and I will see what I can find out for you."

Varsity L&G
09-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Varsity, did he return a fax you sent him today? I do not have access to a fax from home. Sounds like he is out of busiiness though. That is too bad because I think he made a good product. The metal work on the aerator is well built. Unfortunately, the ram broke twice in two years and appears to be the weak link.
Took the ram apart today to see if there was anything on it that identified the manufacturer of the ram. Found out that it is made here in Illinois in Belvedere about 1 hr west of where I live. Called them and they said that I can UPS them the ram and they will either replace it for around $220 or repair it for $50 to just look at it and whatever time and parts are needed. The guy also said that he thought that Groundbreakers / Gator-rator was out of business. The ram manufacturer also stated the repaired one will operate at half the speed but should be much more durable when they are done with it. Warrantee, I dont know yet.

Just sent them a fax I will post up as soon as I get one back, or if I get one back.

TLS
09-20-2005, 10:04 AM
The actuator needs to be twice as FAST, not half as fast. Aren't they just a standard actuator? They should be rated by duty cycle, speed, and capacity. I have a similar actuator on my BOSS salt spreader.

FERT-TEK
09-20-2005, 10:07 AM
The actuator needs to be twice as FAST, not half as fast. Aren't they just a standard actuator? They should be rated by duty cycle, speed, and capacity. I have a similar actuator on my BOSS salt spreader.
the manufacturer of the ram said that although HALF as fast it will be more dependable. Why, I dont know but he maid the thing so I have to trust his judgement. I do realize that twice as fast would make it easier to use but I am concerned with dependability and durability not speed. I dont think that half as fast will make a huge difference in work times.

FERT-TEK
09-20-2005, 10:09 AM
that was on a post about tow behind aerators, I forget who posted a pic. of their home made lift, I'll see if I can find it. anyway, E-bay or a general search for actuator lifts or actuator arm should pull up more options than you can imagine for availible replacement rams. the ram is nothing more than a actuator arm for the old monster size satillite dish. :D
Thanks but I found the manufacturer and delivered it for repair. I will check E-bay in the future.

TLS
09-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Just wish you could incorporate a caster to it so you could turn....even slightly! Would sure save many hundred lifts and lowers over the course of one lawn.

Runner
09-20-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm willing to bet you could get that same cylinder or one even a bit heavier for quite a bit cheaper. I would search the yellow pages for some hydraulic repair and sales shops. We have a whole bunch of them around here.

gl1200a
09-20-2005, 03:08 PM
I was the one that did the post on using the same actuator on a Turfvent pull behind aerator I converted to power lift.

The actuators are used in many applications from 10 foot satelite television antennas, motorcycle sidecar camber adjustment, John Deere Gator dump box actuators, etc.

Do a search on eBay or go here: http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=actuator&srchdesc=y&sid=11032622&store=Joe%27s+Satellite+Shop&colorid=5&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=3&submit=Search

The problem is what has already been discussed. The original gearing is so slow you can't even watch it move. It runs at a literal snail's pace. I would be interested in anyone that has a solution. I would like to find some faster gearing and just keep the old gears in case the faster speed in not strong enough and they shear. It works great (though I am going to refabricate it with a better idea in mind) but a faster pace would be much better.

Thanks. Norm.

TLS
09-20-2005, 03:24 PM
It's a shame someone cant come up with a long 1" thick coarse threaded rod and have a motor spin that real fast. Using this screw motion would be VERY HD and quick. Much like a Genie garage door opener....only heavier duty.

Monster,....Monster-Garage... lol

gl1200a
09-20-2005, 06:11 PM
That's exactly what these actuators are. The compromise is the speed of travel vs. the weight that can be moved. Actually every application would be different and need to be customized to the individual applicaion.

Finding the manufacturer with a chart of speed vs. torque gear sets is the key.